The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniPlan > OmniPlan General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can OmniPlan better handle human resources than I presently do? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I’ve been playing around with OmniPlan for ten days now. What attracted me in this product is:
  • Simpler than Merlin
  • Good (although crashy) experiences with OmniWeb, OmniOutliner and OmniGraffle
I need to handle holidays for my project, and also to avoid some kind of tasks for some of my personel (e.g.: do not give task X to Joe, because Joe is not good at task X).

Can OmniPlan handle this kind of thing? For now, I write notes on each task when possible. But I cannot write notes on Resources...

Or maybe OmniPlan is not the right tool for this. What should I use for basic human resources handling (availability and task/person compatibility)? Please don't tell me I need an ERP!

Thank you

EDIT: I just downloaded Merlin. This software allows me to add comments related to my Resources and this is the most basic implementation of my need -- ideally, I would have an automated way to tell me “X is not available for this task”, but raw comments is good enough. Since OmniPlan does not seem to allow comments for Resources, I may consider moving to Merlin. Too bad there is no import function in it…

Of course, if you plan to integrate comments on ressources, I could really change my mind!

Last edited by David Latapie; 2007-10-10 at 07:15 PM..

Holidays are handled in the calendar view (available in the View menu). To record Joe's vacation, select that resource and choose "Work Schedule for Joe" from the drop-down in the lower left corner. Choose the correct week in the calendar that appears, and then adjust the green rectangles to correspond to Joe's work hours for that week. Now leveling will adjust for Joe's absence, and those times will be gray in his row of the resource view.

There is no automatic way to tell OmniPlan "assign this task to anyone on the team except Joe", but you can add notes to resources in the same way that you add them to tasks.

Please respond (or email omniplan@omnigroup.com) if you need more details.

For schedules: I have saw it already, but got confused because resizing seemed not to work. But now I know why: I did not dragged it enough (it has to be dragged for the full day, which for me meant 5 cm to the left, not 2 cm—and since nothing appeared, I thought it did not work). So, thank you for your confirmation.

By the way, I have a feature request: that by using shift, one can select all block of time for a day. For now, I have to move mornings and afternoons separately…

For the task, I will do as you suggest.

I would like to apologize for the way I wrote the previous message; it was kind of rude, now that I think of it.

I really like OmniGroup’s softwares!

Last edited by David Latapie; 2007-10-11 at 01:17 PM..

Is this a disguised spam or you just made a mistake by choosing the wrong forum?