The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Creating subprojects in Omnifocus for Ipad Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I just got the Ipad version but do not own a Mac, so the desktop version is unavailable for me.

In Things, there are "Areas of Responsibility," which is useful for me. I'm a lawyer and at any one time am juggling work on a number of discrete cases. In things, I defined each case is an area of responsibility, and in each area I have multiple projects.

I understand that in Omnifocus, the areas of responsibility feature does not exist, but I can duplicate it by creating a project for each "area", and then subprojects for each of the projects in each area.

I've been playing around a bit and can't figure out how to create a subproject (a project within a project). I can create an item in the inbox and then promote it to a project. When I create a new item, I either assign it to a project or create a new project. But I cant figure out how to create a new project that is nestled within another project.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

To make an action group (aka sub-project), you just make an action to serve as the "container" and then move some actions under it. Tap one of the actions to be moved to bring up the editor, then tap the Move button. Select the "container" action from the list presented. Once you have done this, you can tap-and-hold then drag other actions into the container.

You might also consider making a folder for each area, and populating it with projects. This gives you more flexibility for scheduling, reviewing, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBerg View Post
I just got the Ipad version but do not own a Mac, so the desktop version is unavailable for me.

In Things, there are "Areas of Responsibility," which is useful for me. I'm a lawyer and at any one time am juggling work on a number of discrete cases. In things, I defined each case is an area of responsibility, and in each area I have multiple projects.

I understand that in Omnifocus, the areas of responsibility feature does not exist, but I can duplicate it by creating a project for each "area", and then subprojects for each of the projects in each area.

I've been playing around a bit and can't figure out how to create a subproject (a project within a project). I can create an item in the inbox and then promote it to a project. When I create a new item, I either assign it to a project or create a new project. But I cant figure out how to create a new project that is nestled within another project.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
First, create a new action in the Case/Project and title it whatever the sub-project will be named.
Then, create a new action to be added to the sub-project. Tap the new action to enter the editor. Then, tap "move" and select the sub-project under "move inside another item."
After that, you should be able to tap and hold the parent sub-project to add new child-actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
You might also consider making a folder for each area, and populating it with projects. This gives you more flexibility for scheduling, reviewing, etc.
How do you create a folder on the iPad version?

Thanks.

Never mind -- I found it. Thanks.

As mentioned in one of the replies above you could create a folder (while in project view use the + icon in the upper right and select new folder). Give the folder a name for your case. Then touch and hold the title bar of your newly created folder - nobody in this thread had mentioned this mechanism yet, and it's very useful in my opinion - when the options pop up, select new project and create your new project. It will display within the folder (will be nested under the folder). Any more projects you want to create in that same folder just require a press and hold on the title bar of the folder.

Any tasks you want to add to one of those projects just requires pressing and holding the title bar of the project and choosing "new action" from the popup. The new actions are then created within the project directly. Another nice thing about creating projects and actions this way is that if all the tasks for a project will have the same context, then you can assign a context to the project itself and when creating the task with press and hold, the context and project fields are already filled in using the project that was pressed and it's assigned context.

Hope this was useful to the OP or others.