The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Can I export/copy a formatted file to Pages? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,

I saw the export options of the new OmniOutliner iPad app but I am not sure if it is possible to get a formatted text into Pages for Ipad and send it then e.g. as a pdf or add more pages from pages?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it. Plain text it is. Unfortunately there is no built in way to save or even deal with formatted text on the iPad.

Thank you for the quick response.

But what can I do with the documents created in OmniOutliner iPad when I can not use them in Pages, Keynote, pdf?

You can admire them with the cover flow way of managing them...

kidding aside, an outliner is just that, an outliner. Exporting as text (albeit with perhaps unwanted -'s) will allow you to bring it into Pages to edit and format to your heart's content.

What I wouldn't do for Scrivener on the iPad!

Unfortunately Pages doesn't exactly play well with others either. I might recommend an Office substitute (office2 or quickoffice) for more flexible file management.

If you are particularly attached to pages, see OO as a text outliner until they start exporting in either pages or .doc file formats. You can export as HTML and then import into Word and then export as .doc and then import into Pages if you are that desperate.

GoodReader opens the HTML files unfortunately you can't export from GoodReader into any usable format. I'm looking at other solutions too. If you discover anything then please let us know.

Pages for iPad only imports Pages ('09 and later?) documents, Word .docx and .doc, and plain text. It doesn't import rtf. It may be possible to to bring the docx export from OO3 Mac to the iPad but that works a bit differently from the HTML exports.

And it only works on Macs. A mac user since 1985 myself but I also recognise that it's not the only way for many people. Having needed to buy the Pro version of OmniGraffle for the mac JUST so I could export visio files from OG iPad has soured me to the whole 'we need the mac and mac products' in order to interact with the rest of the world.