The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Change an existing layer into a shared layer Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just wondering....

I can't seem to find the option to change an existing layer into a shared layer.

Am i overlooking something or is this option not available in beta 7 of Omnigraffle?

Any chance of this appearing in beta 8?

I'm afraid it won't be happening for 5.0 at all, however we do have this a as a feature request in our tracking database, and I've gone ahead and added your comments to that entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
I'm afraid it won't be happening for 5.0 at all, however we do have this a as a feature request in our tracking database, and I've gone ahead and added your comments to that entry.
OK, thanks!

fwiw I'll second this, as a highly desirable feature.

Wow. Please release this one soon. Seems wild to have to create a new shared layer and then have to copy and paste another layer's contents into it.

This would be a GREAT feature to have! I notice this thread is pretty old, any chance it's activated since then?

In practice, you can effectively do this by assigning an applescript to a key-stroke using something like Keyboard Maestro or Fastscripts.

The following, for example, makes a shared duplicate of the bottom layer of the selected canvas. (And once you were happy with how it worked, you might choose to uncomment the delete line, to discard the original non-shared copy ...)

Code:
tell application id "OGfl"
	tell canvas of front window
		set oLayer to last layer

set oShared to make new shared layer at end of layers
		duplicate graphics of oLayer to end of graphics of oShared
		-- delete oLayer
	end tell
end tell

Thanks for the scripting advice, always good to know.
My super fun tips are below.

Turning a layer into a shared layer (not really possible, but you can fake it)
When I wish i would've made a layer into a shared layer, I just lock everything else down but the layer i want to make shared. do a 'select all' then copy and paste onto the new shared layer, the items (in my experience) seem to paste into place. This obviously isn't a trick, more of a procedure really.

Creating a new distributed shared layer
The (not really a) trick is that if you want to share a layer over every layer you have without dragging it all around, just do it once, then right click and duplicate that layer. the duplicate will also be distributed as the original was and you can just delete the content while retaining the behavior.

Thanks you RobTrew
It work great!.

I wish this features will be in next OG