The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

start date actions into inbox? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
There's been some discussion of tickler files, and in it the notion has come up that start dates basically perform the function of tickler files.

Thinking about this, I have an idea that I'd like feedback on: What do you think of having actions with start dates appear in the inbox on their start date? That would actually mimic how I work with ticklers (dropping the day's file's contents into my physical inbox) and would be a bit more prominent way of notifying me that they have re-entered my system. Of course like any inbox item they would be cleared with a manual "clean up," and they would also appear in the relevant contexts and projects (if assigned) from the get-go.

Responses?

Hi,

well I personnally think that the filters in OF are a more efficient way of doing this. Grouping or sorting items in OF with the filters allos wo thave a good overview of what is due and by when.
Though to make these filters useful there are some improvements that could be made. E.g. the saved searches and the saved work spaces mentioned in the forum would make that use easier. Also the due dates of projects to which a task belongs shall be somewhere in the list views to make those grouped lists easier to read.

Cheers

Mario

Bump - any other responses to my idea?

Craig,

I'm using start dates in OF for ticklers now. I tend to review my tickler items the night before they start, so adding them to the inbox on the start date wouldn't help me personally. Like Mario, I'm using filtering for my tickler review (Context view, show Remaining Actions, group by Start Date).

I keep on OmniOutliner checklist of items to be reviewed each evening. Most of the items reflect the fact that I have lots of (too many?) inboxes. Here's my current list:

- [ ] Review Tomorrow’s Ticklers
- [ ] Empty Moleskine
- [ ] Empty Voice Memos
- [ ] Empty In Folder
- [ ] Empty In Box
- [ ] Process Email
- [ ] Empty OmniFocus Inbox
- [ ] Review Tomorrow’s Calendar
- [ ] Print Errands tasklists
- [ ] What's for supper tomorrow?
- [ ] What's your exercise for tomorrow?
- [ ] Sync Phone

Cheers,

Curt

i would have to agree with @Mario.Batz that filters are the better way of dealing with this.

i think i would probably get frustrated if all my tickler tasks, which have already been processed - assigned to projects, given contexts, and clearly at least start dates if not due dates - would all of a sudden appear in my inbox in need of re-processing and potentially without all of that information as inbox tasks are a different sort of task (as baset as i can tell from the OF applescript dictionary)

Okay, I think you guys have sold me that filters are a better alternative.

Does anybody else wish for more fine time options on the filter groupings, i.e. instead of

1 day
1 week
1 month
3 months
etc.

(or whatever it is currently), would you prefer something like

1 day
2 days
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month
2 months
3 months

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Does anybody else wish for more fine time options on the filter groupings, (snip) would you prefer something like

1 day
2 days
3 days
1 week
2 weeks
1 month
2 months
3 months
I'm of two minds on this one. At first I wanted finer granularity as you suggest. But then I decided that the additional group headings would use too much vertical space. What I'm currently doing is grouping and sorting by the same date field. This seems to work well as the items are all ordered and the group headings help me find my place.

If you have a due date on a project, actions of the project are sorted according to their inherited due date. I've submitted a feature request that the context view actually show the inherited due dates, perhaps in a lighter shade of text.

I don't see how filters help with the tickler file. I mean it's great that when I have fully processed tasks with a start date I can filter them out, sure. But I want something for tasks that I don't need to process until some future date.

I have tried a tickler project (in kGTD), but that I really didn't like. It adds an unnecessary step to the review process. One of the great things about using OmniFocus is how it's cut down on the number of inboxes I need.

If nothing else, I'll write an applescript to move things from a tickler category to the inbox manually. But it would be nice to have a built in solution.