The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

OS X dictionary integration. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
Now if only there were non-English dictionaries for it available ...
This is what I need for sure. LiveDictionary is a nice third-party application that works with many cocoa applications. I hacked the bundle loader so that it works with TextEdit, NetNewsWire, iChat, Adium, and DevonThink Pro and DevonAgent.

It will load fine in OW (and Mellel) but the definition windows don't pop up, making it virtually worthlesss.

Tant pis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Select a word and hit Command-Control-D to get the definition pop-up. No context menu item quite yet.
I don't think the fingers on my left hand can hit all those keys at once without fumbling :(

Also, if there is a problem with implementing this feature, please tell us. In most browsers the contextual menu is item specific. Here, I clearly select a word, and it still presents me with options of getting rid of animation :|.

P.S. I just noticed that it DOES give the Dictionary option, but only in THIS area where I am typing my text now.

Thanks

Last edited by mischivo; 2006-05-05 at 06:26 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
Select a word and hit Command-Control-D to get the definition pop-up. No context menu item quite yet.
on my system, control-command-D is Add to Bookmarks without a dialog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
Now if only there were non-English dictionaries for it available ...
Hell, I'd be happy if there was an English dictionary available... but no, just American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
Hell, I'd be happy if there was an English dictionary available... but no, just American.
I see no French or Spanish...? ;)

In the dictionaries in the US, "English" when referring to a language not defined strictly as a the language spoken only in England.

The Oxford online dictionary appears to grant access via subscription only.
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=English

Well, sp9 shows no change for me with this unfortunate minor glitch (otherwise, it seems really fantastic; definitely see a speed boost, particularly on loading workspaces; particularly happy that command+. actually stops the loading).

Despite that it really isn't all that important to me to have this working (though I'm playing with the idea of trying to convert freedict dictionaries to this), the fact that it's working in 5.5 like it actually did in 5.1, though I never realized it, is a tad upsetting. So I went and disabled everything I could think of that might be causing this problem: InputManagers, APE and haxies, contextual menu items. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the source of the problem. The very strange thing is that it works fine on my laptop, which has the same software (as far as I can remember—so hard to keep them synced) and the same preferences (literally copied over and only modified for things like download directories and window locations). Still, there is clearly something that's doing this hidden in my account on the g5 that isn't in its system and that isn't in the laptop account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daiyi666@yahoo.com
This is what I need for sure. LiveDictionary is a nice third-party application that works with many cocoa applications.
[...]
It will load fine in OW (and Mellel) but the definition windows don't pop up, making it virtually worthlesss.
Thanks for the link anyway. I hadn't seen this, but I have used Ultralingua, and I keep going back to lamenting the fact that the system dictionary app doesn't have other languages. I really think Apple got it right with the interface. As a (free) replacement, I've written a number of applescripts to use in LaunchBar and OnMyCommand to define words from copy/paste and selections, respectively. (If anyone's interested, I've got ones for English, Spanish, German and Japanese ones.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischivo
P.S. I just noticed that it DOES give the Dictionary option, but only in THIS area where I am typing my text now.
I'd be very appreciative if you could help in troubleshooting this problem, if it is that you are indeed seeing this in the sneaky peeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
The Oxford online dictionary appears to grant access via subscription only.
Now, the OED in Dictionary.app would really be amazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb

Thanks for the link anyway. I hadn't seen this, but I have used Ultralingua, and I keep going back to lamenting the fact that the system dictionary app doesn't have other languages. I really think Apple got it right with the interface. As a (free) replacement, I've written a number of applescripts to use in LaunchBar and OnMyCommand to define words from copy/paste and selections, respectively. (If anyone's interested, I've got ones for English, Spanish, German and Japanese ones.)

Now, the OED in Dictionary.app would really be amazing!
You're more than welcome. Yes, it would be best if Apple included other dictionaries. That being said, I still find LiveDictionary much faster than Apple's Dictionary (even when the Dictionary.app is already open). And I'm happy that LD works with so many other applications. If any OG developers see this thread, could they at least comment on the possibility/impossibility of LD working with OW in the near future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
Still, there is clearly something that's doing this hidden in my account on the g5 that isn't in its system and that isn't in the laptop account.
Keeping at it, I found that it's not just OW's problem. In my account on the g5 in other apps, it only works in text fields, never in displayed text.

I seem to have found the cause of my frustration with the dictionary popup. It seems the fact that I have my user account on a partition separate from the boot partition inhibits it from working in normal text fields.

Creating an account on my desktop on a non-root partition produced the same behavior as in my account. However, doing the same thing on my laptop (but using a flash drive instead of a hard disk partition), did not produce the same results. So I still have more testing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afb
I seem to have found the cause of my frustration with the dictionary popup. It seems the fact that I have my user account on a partition separate from the boot partition inhibits it from working in normal text fields.
So do-I, but I still see the proper command in the Services (and I can use it).How did you setup your account? NetInfo Database, a symlink in /Users or both??