The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Why OmniFocus v1 didn't support multiple contexts per action Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalagua View Post
@Cypher
Thank you for the reply and that does work. It still seems more of a work around than functionality though. I guess I am more curious as to why multiple contexts are so taboo, and why Omni Group doesn't just add them in.
As a programmer, my guess - and I could be wrong - is that adding them in would drastically increase the complexity of OmniFocus's codebase, gobble up months' worth of programming resources that could be used to add other features, and increase the complexity of the codebase and the test and support resources that it requires, and quite possibly the effort required for other new features, forever after. So that it wouldn't be "just" add them, but a huge effort, because contexts affect everything.

Now, I would think (also guessing) that adding searchable tags that _don't_ act like contexts wouldn't be as much of a nightmare, but then I'd guess that we'd all grumble that we really wanted them to have all the cool features of contexts.

So I can certainly see that as long as Omni isn't convinced that multiple contexts have value, they're not gonna add them. I may disagree on the point of whether they have value, but I can certainly agree that if they don't, they're too big to add just in case.