The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOLVED: Can't get ANY tasks to sync to iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
Bogus is in the eye of the beholder. People who use a smart phone besides the iPhone, or a Palm, or some other device that can sync with the iCal to-do list are very grateful for this feature.
After suffering through Palm Lists and Entourage lists I don't know what they are waiting for. Having an extra list around to sync, check off and dilly dally with makes no sense. Especially if its all GTD. I have spent a little over a week Getting things done with OmniFocus and, well thats about all I have been able to do is manage my lists, and OF. If I should go to the trouble of inputting a date and time on something it should jump into my calendar. Not another list, or having to enter it again in another program. That is wasting my time and not GTD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianogilvie View Post
As for scheduling tasks on the calendar, there have been a number of threads on that. For my take, see this posting. See the rest of the thread for opposing views. Just a question though: if you set a start date of August 1 and a due date of September 15 on a task, how should OmniFocus represent that task as a calendar event?
See Tim's comment in that thread. That is simple enough. Ical won't show a big old stripe through your calendar unless all day event is selected.

I was using omnioutliner to perform the same function as Omnifocus. Now I hope that all the bells and whistles in OF aren't distractions in the end. If omnioutliner synced with the Iphone I would probably still use that. Nothing better than a folded up piece of 8.5 x 11 paper with a mindmap on the front and ToDo lists on the back. Outliner to keep a running tab of lists.

I gotta get back to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2Astronaut View Post
Having an extra list around to sync, check off and dilly dally with makes no sense.
The point is if your Mac is a desktop machine, you might want to take your list with you in electronic form, and have any changes you make to it reflected back on your Mac once you sync. The whole point of synchronizing is that it's not an "extra" list, because the software updates changes on both platforms automatically. If you always have your Mac with you, or if you have OmniFocus on the iPhone, I can see your point. But not all of us are in that situation. Some members of this forum can't even bring their Mac or iPhone to work because of policies against gadgets with cameras.

Quote:
If I should go to the trouble of inputting a date and time on something it should jump into my calendar. Not another list, or having to enter it again in another program. That is wasting my time and not GTD....

Ical won't show a big old stripe through your calendar unless all day event is selected.
I think this is partly a matter of how many actions with deadlines you have. I have about 300 right now, with deadlines between now and the end of the year. If they were represented as events on my calendar, they'd be taking up a lot of space and would distract me from things that are really fixed. It's also partly a matter of how you think about due dates. If I look a month ahead at my calendar, I want to see the things that have fixed times that month, not the things that I could do any time between now and next month.

A reasonable solution would be to sync actions to iCal events as a user-configurable preference. The best way to register your feature request with Omni is to send feedback via the Help menu.

Quote:
I gotta get back to work.
Me too! :-)

I've read this whole thread and I think I can see how people have some legitimate differences of opinion. However, I think we might all might be able to agree if iCal sync continues as it is now - going to the task pane appearing on the date due...

...when you drag the task on to your calendar in order to create an event shouldn't it at least appear in the duration you have set for that task in OmniFocus?

This is not the behavior I'm getting (every task is creates a 1 hour event), but it would certainly be useful to me in setting up my day's events from a list of the tasks due by that day.

It also would help me in one area I'm having trouble identifying, which is when I am horribly over-scheduled on one day because of so many tasks due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
..when you drag the task on to your calendar in order to create an event shouldn't it at least appear in the duration you have set for that task in OmniFocus?
That's a neat idea. But how would iCal know the duration? If OmniFocus were to sync duration information to an iCal task, it would have to be in the Notes field for the task. Omni would have to convince Apple to parse duration information in the Notes field when dragging a task to the calendar. If Omni had written iCal, they could do this easily enough. (Is it time for OmniCal?)

OmniCal - Oh ya!

Otherwise, I suppose you're right about the parsing, but I don't make the software I just make the requests, right? Well, that's my excuse for asking for the absurd.

I guess I do want tasks as events.