The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ability to add children to action I am working on Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
one suggestion I have for the iPhone version is the ability to add children to an action.

When working with the iPhone, I will sometimes get to an action that needs other children to complete it. I use the iPhone for troubleshooting and working on projects where I may not know how to complete them.

Example:
Often, I am working on projects where I don't know what the next step is. Example.

project: get SNMP traps working with vendor hardware
-set up vendor hardware to send SNMP traps

I start working on that task. But am having problem that I don't know how to deal with. In order to complete this task I find other tasks I can do that will move me forward.

--are SNMP traps being sent from vendor hardware
--is SNMP server set up correctly to catch SNMP traps

These are research steps that I need to complete. And those items are not actionable. This usually turns into:
--are SNMP traps being sent from vendor hardware
---send email to vendor hardware to find out how to verify SNMP traps are being sent
--is SNMP server set up correctly to catch SNMP traps
---contact support to verify how to set up SNMP server to catch traps

Once I have completed those two tasks and verified whether or not they are working I'm back to my original parent.

I then need to brainstorm about what the next troubleshooting task is and create children.

OF becomes part of my troubleshooting process.

One thing I would like to see in the iPhone is the ability to add children to a parent task that move it toward completing.

Currently, If I get to an action that needs more steps to complete it, I hit a resistance block with using iPhone. The only option I have is to add a new item to the inbox, or find the project that I am working on (often I'm using flags or contexts to look at actions). I then loose my place where I was working in iPhone.