The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Assigning same context inside a project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi!
Can you somehow assign a context to all the actions within a project (apart from doing it manually for each one)? At the same time, what's the point of assigning context to a project if projects don't show up in the context menu?

Select all of the actions using the normal Mac procedures. Bring up the inspector and any changes you make (such as setting the context) will be applied to all of the actions.

In context mode, the parent items (projects or action groups) show up as available when all the children are completed, so long as you haven't turned off that option in the preferences. This way, you can immediately see that you have exhausted all of the actions in that project and either add more or mark it complete. Also, a new child action inherits the context of the parent, so if you have a project where many actions will have the same context, you can set it for the project and save some effort while fleshing out the project.

I don't have a Mac for normal Mac procedures, I have an Ipad and that's it :) so how can I do this on an Ipad?

To be more precise:
If I first create a project, give it a context and start entering tasks, it wors fine.
However, if I first make a no-context project, enter some tasks and then give the project a context, then nothing happens.

Sorry, I didn't notice that this was in the iPad forum, my apologies!

Yeah, easiest thing is to have the context set when adding the tasks. If you don't, however, the next best thing is to make a new project (with the desired context set) immediately below the original and copy/paste the actions over one at a time. Tap and hold on an action in the source project, tap copy, then tap and hold on the destination row and paste. You'll get the context inheritance from the parent. Then delete the original project and rename the new one if necessary.

The iPad doesn't have any mechanism for applying an operation to multiple tasks at once like the Mac does. That's one of the things that keeps me using the Mac app regularly, though much of what I do can be done on the iPad alone.