The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

selective shared layering Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have multiple Canvases with some shared layers. What I'd like to do is have all the layers shared and enable/disable them depending on the Canvas.
So, let's say the four layers are L1, L2, L3 and L4 and I have 4 Canvases: C1, C2, C3 and C4.
I'd then like to arrange them as follows:

C1: L1, L2, L3, L4
C2: L1, L3, L4
C3: L1, L2, L4
C4: L1, L4

However, I can't seem to do that. When I share a layer between canvases, whenever I hide the layer in that particular canvas, it hides it in all the other canvases that share the same layer.

To work around this, I had to create a single canvas: C1 (containing non-shared layers L1, L2, L3, L4), then duplicate the canvas to C2, C3 and C4. Since the layers are not shared, I can then selectively enable/disable them.
Of course the problem with this is if I want to make a change to one of the layers it isn't copied across to the other canvases!

I hope I have explained this clearly. Is there a solution to this issue?

Thanks,
Brett.

Shared layers do behave the same in all the canvases that share them.

They don't have to appear in the same order in all canvases, though. That lets you mask the ones you want disabled in a particular canvas. Put all the shared layers you to be invisible at the bottom of the layer stack in that canvas. Just above them add a layer completely filled with a background color (i.e., a strokeless filled rectangle the size of the canvas).