The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Should there be more than 7 default diagram styles? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am using 6.0.5 and I only see 7 diagram styles. I remember there being more in version 5. Also the manual shows 9... Is this right?

I can only see:
  • Chalkboard
  • Chart1
  • Chart2
  • Circles
  • Clouds Hierarchical
  • Lines

Page 61 of the "OmniGraffle 6 for Mac User Manual" lists those plus:
  • Basic
  • Chart3
  • Notes

But minus:
  • Hierarchical

Related, where can I find and install additional diagram styles? I have found a few short answers about where to put styles but those threads don't show where to find them. The videos I have found how to create them all seem to apply to version 5.

Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omnig.jpg
Views:	4557
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	3001  

As far as I can tell diagram styles are simply templates with Auto Layout turned on. If you create a new template, turn on Auto Layout and save it to the default location, it becomes a Diagram Style.

The default template folder is now
~/Library/Containers/com.omnigroup.OmniGraffle6/Data/Library/Application Support/The Omni Group/OmniGraffle/Templates

You'd rarely have to go there in the Finder though. New templates are saved there by default. The action (gearwheel) pulldown in the Resource Browser lets you do stuff to the files there (e.g., deleting them). I suppose you might have to open the folder to put in a template file you didn't create yourself, but you can open it from the Resource Browser. (Select a template and click Show In Finder from the action pulldown.) Even better, if you open a template file from somewhere else, OG thoughtfully offers to move it to the default template folder.

There's a subfolder there called Automatic Layout, which contains the default 7 diagram style templates. You can see it in the Resource Browser. It appears, though, that the Choose Diagram Style window shows templates anywhere in the Templates folder that have Auto Layout set.

Last edited by john.gersh; 2014-05-21 at 12:05 PM..