The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Omni Focus & Data Collection Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
By my estimates, I reckon I'm about a week away from my sneaky peek invite and, as far as my current GTD weapons are concerned, I'm using the following:

iGTD
YoJimbo
Ethan's Kinkless Desktop

The YoJimbo version I'm using is currently nearing the end of its' trial so I'm looking to make a decision as to whether to buy it or not to manage my snippets collection. Is there a particular piece of data collection software that sits nicely with OmniFocus?

I do like iGTD it's just that I'm very OmniFocus curious as I use OmniOutliner quite a lot and generally like 'stuff'!

I don't know if it will talk to OF, but I'm a new Yojimbo convert. I didn't even wait for my trial period to end before I bought it.

I want to keep OF for my action items -- things where I need to actually do something. Yojimbo is great for my information snippets and reference material. It will go a long way to keeping my mail inbox at zero :-)

It would be nice to have a link in OF's notes to a specific Yojimbo item. Hint, hint?

--Liz

I use SOHO Notes. If links to notes internal to other databases is on the horizon, I vote for the ability to link to a SOHO note as well.

I'm a Yojimbo convert as well, and I think it's hands-down the best way to manage chunks of information that don't fit anywhere else. It has even replaced [toread], and had a whole system of multiple dedicated smart mailboxes just to manage those emails.

Everyone is going to have their own favorite programs that they want OF to interact with. Mailtags, for instance, is apparently very popular, but I would rather have OF interact with Mail, and not a 3rd party program that costs $30.

Instead of having OF interact with a select group of 3rd party programs that not everybody will like or use, could OF services be created that allow interaction with a broader range of programs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLady
Instead of having OF interact with a select group of 3rd party programs that not everybody will like or use, could OF services be created that allow interaction with a broader range of programs?
There is an alternative if all you want to do is create Mail links.

Linkaboo

But it is shareware and cost $9.

Even includes a script:

Quote:
The AppleScript in this folder can be placed in the Mail application’s script folder and be used to start LinkABoo from inside Mail. (Which, of course, requires that the system-wide script menu is displayed in the menu bar. You can use the AppleScript Utility to turn this on or off.)
To install the script, please copy it to folder Library/Scripts/Applications/Mail (if one of the folders does not exist, simply create it).
I bet Curt could do something with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
There is an alternative if all you want to do is create Mail links.

Linkaboo

But it is shareware and cost $9.

Even includes a script:

I bet Curt could do something with it.
Thanks for your confidence, Terry! Unfortunately Linkaboo doesn't seem to be scriptable. The script included with Linkaboo merely launches the separate Linkaboo application. So using Linkaboo there's no easy way to create an OF action from a Mail message with a single click or hotkey.

I agree with GeekLady that a common approach for creating OF actions from a variety of apps would be best, but I don't see how to make those actions link back to the originating application. It seems like that requires support for each application.

Curt