The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Some unique features I found ! Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is amazing! Here are some of the things OmniFocus for iPhone does that NO OTHER iPHONE Task Management App does:

Create a task called "call John Smith ph# (555)555-5555.
Start time: [[say twenty minutes from now]] Context: PHONE".

For fun, create another task called: "go to http://www.aol.com"

You get what you pay for, right ? Watch...

1. NO ALARM...NO POPUP ALERT...NOTHING alerts you that
you are now missing the appointment!

Only OmniFocus doesn't use alerts, and claims to be the best.
If I wanted to write my tasks down, and NOT be alerted of their
coming due, I might have used, say, PAPER!

2. Try calling John Smith Anyway....YOU CAN'T TAP HIS NUMBER TO MAKE
THE CALL! Another Unique situation. Stare at John's number, memorize
it, close omnifocus, open the phone, type his number in, call him.

3. How about the URL ? NO, You can not click it and go to that site...

4. Notice that this app is constantly doing something..
that little wheel on the bottom spins around every few minutes to let
you know it's busy as a beaver!
It sure as hell isn't busy alerting you about the appointments
you've putting in there.
Ohhh, nowww I see...it's busy filling up my MobileMe iDisk!
There we go...ok cool.

In summary:

No alerts (visible or audible).
No clickable phone numbers even when the context is "PHONE".
No clickable URL's even if the context is "WEB".

I hope somebody above middle-management is reading this post, whether you delete the post or not, you'll need to know this right now:

Because omnifocus for iPhone is the single most expensive iPhone application on the entire AppStore...
Because there was no "Lite version" enabling unsuspecting buyers to experience this utter lack of necessary functionality, and
Because it is lacking in every single feature that a task management application is expected to have, by ANYONE...

I am personally undertaking the "TASK" of doing everything in my power
to contact every director at the Apple app store, with the intention of:

•Obtaining a refund.
•Bringing all of these issues to the review committee at Apple to have this
software put back into review under a slightly less assuming microscope.

This is a straightforward incident of false advertising, misleading a consumer purchase, and misreprestation of a publicly traded entity.

Put my 20 bucks into the can labelled "OH G*D we're about to get slammed"

Hell hath no fury like a careless buyer who can't or won't read!

Put the phone number and the URL in the Notes field and they become clickable links which will dial the phone and visit the web page.

I already pointed you at the alert facilities in one of the other threads.

It's not the most expensive app in the App store, by a long shot. http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...10-xa1-17999-1

David Allen seems to think it does just fine as a task management app. I think I missed the post where you presented your credentials...

By the way, why are you ranting about the iPhone app in the OmniFocus for Mac forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlange View Post
This is a straightforward incident of false advertising, misleading a consumer purchase, and misreprestation of a publicly traded entity.
Wow, those are legally actionable words. I hope you have a legal defense fund in case Omni decides to take action for libel and vilification. Or hope that you have at least a good faith believe what you're saying is true or no one actually believes your statements.

I think the original poster might want to FIND OUT WHAT AN IPHONE CAN AND CAN'T DO before spending on software for it . [sorry for the shouting , i thought you might understand it better since you do so much of it ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlange View Post
This is amazing! Here are some of the things OmniFocus for iPhone does that NO OTHER iPHONE Task Management App does:

[B]Create a task called "call John Smith ph# (555)555-5555.
Start time: [[say twenty minutes from now]] Context: PHONE".

Start time for a GTD task is not the same thing as an appointment time; the rest of your rant seems to evolve from this misunderstanding. There's been a lot of discussion on the forum about this issue and how much calendar functionality OF should include, but the answer thus far has been "not much".

A GTD approach to calling JS might be that your task manager reminds you, when it is appropriate, that you need to schedule a phone call, but the scheduling actually happens elsewhere such as in your (possibly shared) calendar application.

In the manual for OF for the iPhone there is no mention of the word "alarm", "alert", or "dial". In the FAQ there is mention that support for "Time-based notifications (coming in 1.5.2)" is not yet available.

But now that you mention it, it does seem a bit lacking that a clickable URL can be in the notes field and not in the actual task text (URL of any type, including phone numbers). Best to request that feature through the usual email channels.