The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Return all tasks that are nested under a folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Just been asked this in a private message. Public discussion spreads the load and brings better harvests, so here's a first seedling.

Code:
tell application id "OFOC"
	tell default document
		-- SOME FOLDER, LET'S JUST GRAB THE FIRST WE SEE ...
		set oFolder to first folder

-- ALL ACTIVE CHILD-BEARING PROJECTS ENCLOSED BY THIS FOLDER, REGARDLESS OF NESTING
		set refProjects to a reference to (flattened projects of oFolder where number of tasks > 0 and status is active)

-- HARVEST THE PROGENY THEREOF (PERHAPS FILTERED) AS A LIST OF LISTS
		set lstTasks to flattened tasks of refProjects where completed is false

-- FLATTEN THE LIST, IF NEED BE
		set lstTasks to my FlatList(lstTasks)
	end tell
end tell

on FlatList(lst)
	if class of lst is not list then
		{lst}
	else if lst ≠ {} then
		FlatList(item 1 of lst) & (FlatList(rest of lst))
	else
		{}
	end if
end FlatList

Thanks Rob

I'm getting an error when changing the line

Code:
to

Code:
set oFolder to "myFolder"
Quote:
error "Can’t get every flattened project of \"myFolder\"." number -1728 from every «class FCfx» of "myFolder"

Further to the error above, I'm getting an error when calling the task's context. See code snippet below

Code:
	set dteNow to (current date)
	tell default document
		-- SOME FOLDER, LET'S JUST GRAB THE FIRST WE SEE ...

-- ALL ACTIVE CHILD-BEARING PROJECTS ENCLOSED BY THIS FOLDER, REGARDLESS OF NESTING
		set refProjects to a reference to (flattened projects of oFolder where number of tasks > 0 and status is active)

-- HARVEST THE PROGENY THEREOF (PERHAPS FILTERED) AS A LIST OF LISTS
		set lstTasks to flattened tasks of refProjects where completed is false

-- FLATTEN THE LIST, IF NEED BE
		set lstTasks to my FlatList(lstTasks)

set listExport to "Task	Project	Context	Creation Date	Date Due	Priority" & return

repeat with task_obj in lstTasks

set taskDueDate to ""
			set taskPriority to ""
			if due date of task_obj is not missing value then set taskDueDate to due date of task_obj
			if flagged of task_obj is true then set taskPriority to "Yes"
			set listExport to listExport & name of task_obj & "	" & name of containing project of task_obj & "	" & name of context of task_obj & "	" & creation date of task_obj & "	" & taskDueDate & "	" & taskPriority & "	" & return
		end repeat

end tell

tell application "TextEdit"
		activate
		make new document
		set text of document 1 to listExport as text
		save document 1 in "/Users/myUser/Desktop/output.txt"
	end tell

end tell

on FlatList(lst)
	if class of lst is not list then
		{lst}
	else if lst ≠ {} then
		FlatList(item 1 of lst) & (FlatList(rest of lst))
	else
		{}
	end if
end FlatList

The first problem is that you are not assigning oFolder to a folder object, you are assigning it to a string. Strings don't have the properties of an OF folder.

You will find examples of how to get a reference to a folder object in various code examples in this forum.

The second problem is that some tasks will return missing value as their context, and a missing value does not have a name property.

Just before you get to that line, you will need to test the context of each task, assigning an empty string to a variable if the tasks's context is a missing value, and the context name otherwise.

Why does

Code:
(flattened projects of oFolder)
give me a list of projects in a folder where

Code:
(flattened projects where folder is not missing value and folder is oFolder)
give me a type error?

Obviously it interpreting "folder" as a type rather than a field in the project object...but what syntax would make applescript interpret it as a field value rther than a type?

Reference ambiguities can often by resolved (to the innermost scope) by using the keyword its

This works:

Code:
	tell default document
		set lstProj to (flattened projects where its folder is not missing value and its folder is oFolder)
	end tell
end tell

Thanks. I am really beginning to dislike applescript...