The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How do I import/sync iCal Tasks Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have OF setup and all my tasks are in iCal. When I sync, nothing happens. How to I populate OF with the iCal tasks? I know there has to be something simple here that I am overlooking. Thanks.

When you created tasks in iCal, did you identify them with calendars that correspond with OF contexts? If you have any tasks in OF, did they appear in iCal; if so, what calendars?

I figured this one out just a few minutes ago and got it working...

I created contexts in OF and synced. Then I dragged my previously created iCal tasks into the corresponding OF contexts and synced OF again. That worked. Now I have it all up and running and syncing to my palm. Time to go through the inbox now... :)

I figured out the same procedure myself today. It seemed to work, but it's hard to know given that I copied about 400 todos.

I hope the final interface to iCal will be more user friendly. Specifically, I'd like to see the following:
1. A preference pane with an iSync-like checklist of calendars to sync, and
2. Elimination of the "OF: " prefix

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
I felt the same way when "OF:" was first used, but now I like it. With all the calendars I have in iCal and the subset I sync with my Palm, it's too easy to 'unshow' one of the OF contexts in the calendars without some clue that the calendar in question is for OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
I felt the same way when "OF:" was first used, but now I like it.
Calendars can certainly be named this way for user tracking purposes, but to require such syntax for designating calendars to be synchronized with OF is unnecessary and not in the spirit of the Mac interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scb View Post
Personally I think the prefix should be customizable in the preferences for OmniFocus. I would rather use the @ symbol, because that brings that category to the top of the list in my Blackberry categories.

If there was no connection between the calendar name and its OF sync status, you could name your calendars using any naming rubric that works for you.

To me, requiring the use any prefix or naming convention has the feel of a command line interface and is rather ugly in a GUI.