The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Quick Entry on the iPhone Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
I thought I saw in a previous post where Ken had mentioned that they were looking at being able to add directly to inbox while the "loading" message was going?
That seems like a wonderful solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrump View Post
I thought I saw in a previous post where Ken had mentioned that they were looking at being able to add directly to inbox while the "loading" message was going?
Please!

I've stopped using OF on iPhone for entering tasks, mostly because the load screen takes too long. Instead, I just email myself a note to my +omnifocus address.

It would be great if you could get to quick entry faster.

I also really like BwanaZulia's idea earlier in this thread of having a page of notes that can be parsed into inbox items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadling View Post
What if the second "Quick Entry" app just synced with the remote data store to share data with the main OmniFocus iPhone app? Maybe that's a bit cumbersome, I don't know. Of course, it also wouldn't be a great solution for any iPhone-only customer who aren't already syncing with a remote server.

-Dennis
This is a fantastic idea.

It would be great to offer a quick entry app that went directly into a voice recording (see Note2Self), and then automatically synced the recording with the omnifocus data on mobileme.

If others wanted a shortcut for text entry, that could be a different quick entry app. If others wanted a shortcut for pictures, that could be a different quick entry app. By keeping them separate, a lot of the taps could be eliminated.

I personally would have the quick entry recorder in my dock, as I would access that more often than anything else on my phone. For me to find omnifocus on the phone useful, there has to be some way to get the idea capture process to about 5 seconds, and make it hands-free enough that I can do it while driving.

don't know if apple would ever open this up to developers or not, but you can customize the home button to click 2 times to open itunes or favorite contact lists, what if we could click the home button twice for a quick entry? Still don't think that gets around the "sandbox" problem though?

No, I don't think the double-tap magic would help the sandbox problem at all. Either we need to trim the loading process down to the bone, or we need to build a separate Quick Entry app.

It might be worth looking at OpenClip for ideas on how to get two apps communicating.
http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/20/...e-across-apps/

"OpenClip accomplishes this feat while still following the rules of Apple's SDK. iPhone applications are allowed to read from other application's files but only write to their own. By creating a standard location for each application's "clipboard", applications can "copy" by simply saving data locally and "paste" by pulling the most recently saved data across all applications."

Might this approach work for OmniFocus for iPhone and a quick entry OmniFocus app? …Not that I know what I'm talking about or anything. :D

That would open a possibility. We're kind of looking in a different direction at the moment, but we'll see.

Coming to iPhone from the Palm and a long time user of Datebook, I would love to be able to create a new action, link or look up a phone number or email address and put it in the note section, then when the action was due just click on the phone # and the phone would dial it, or click on the email address and the mail program would open to create new mail directed to that email address.

Perhaps a quick-entry app could be developed under Cydia as this would bypass current restrictions. I tried 'qtweeter' which allows you to tweet by swiping downwards in any app and found this very convenient. I would love to see this ease of entry into OmniFocus for iphone one day.

One great workaround I am trying now is to have omnifocus running in the background (requires cydia) and with the custom homebutton hack, setting a double tap to open omnifocus at doubletap://com.omnigroup.OmniFocus

Now I have the quick entry panel at the touch of a button. Hope it helps.

Franz

Last edited by shedali; 2009-11-01 at 05:43 AM..