The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Slow start-up (5.6 alpha) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Well, with the latest alpha, 91344, OW doesn't ever seem to finish trying to launch. Both processors hit 100% and I eventually have to force quit.

Using the prior version, 91312 I had no issues at all.

However, something is now borked as reverting back to 91312 yields the same problem.

<sigh>

Well, I ended up having to delete my history to fix the problem.

the problem is an "exploding history file" (the history plist) -- I've seen mine "explode" to 100 & 200 MB on two machines.

Hey thanks for the tip about deleting the history file, because my omniweb was freezing ever time i tried to load it, and my history file was 200MB big :)

That explains why it was going so SLOW.

Thanks again, Adriel

Favicons should be working better.
The exploding history.plist problem should be fixed.

Are people still seeing regular delays?

The one issue that isn't fixed is the history ox database problem but I'm curious if the two fixes above are helping most people.

With favicons I have the problem now that they completely disappear with every new launch of OW, which is not good because I have several bookmarks in the bookmarks bar without any text. But I'm not at the newest SP, atm, and it might even be fixed already. X-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zottel View Post
With favicons I have the problem now that they completely disappear with every new launch of OW, which is not good because I have several bookmarks in the bookmarks bar without any text. But I'm not at the newest SP, atm, and it might even be fixed already. X-)
Should be fixed. Let us know if you're still having trouble in the latest :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post

The one issue that isn't fixed is the history ox database problem but I'm curious if the two fixes above are helping most people.
Some developers/companies concentrate on fixing bugs and they don't cleanup debug etc code on alphas, they don't "optimise" the code before all major problems are fixed.

Is it true for Omniweb alphas too?

I am asking since your own Omni tool, Object Sweeper does these all and I have seen it how great it is thanks to Path Finder, its memory usage essentially went half after author used it.

Of course I maybe an advanced user only, not a developer, just speaking as guess.

In my prediction, on beta or release candidate stage, Omni will start taking care of speed and memory issues. Is it true assumption?

We don't leave our headers etc inside of the app. However all our apps are universal and multilingual (though there is an English only version of OmniWeb).

The languages and support for both architectures can eat up a lot of disk space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb View Post

After launching Omniweb it would take several minutes before the beachball cursor would disappear. I am using a very old Mac (G4 500 dual) which probably exasperated the problem, but selecting the "Clear History" command just caused it to beachball until I chose Force Quit. Manually deleting the history.plist file finally solved this. Thanks.