The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Working in the context view - New actions to a project Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am finding OmniFocus to be such an exciting and innovative program. One area trips me up though and I wondered if anyone here on the forums has an idea or perhaps there is a piece of functionality I wasn't aware of (probably). Like Ethan has suggested, I find the Context area the best area to Act on the various actions that need to be executed. However, when I complete an action in the Context view from a particular project, or just want to add another one to that project, I have to switch back to the Planning view and find that project to enter in my next action. This takes time as I have a lot of projects and have to look through and keep the project name in mind. Some of you might comment that I have to enter in multiple actions related to a project in the planning view and then I can avoid this issue. But there are many instances when I don't know what the next action will be as a result of the one I have just completed, e.g. I am on a call with a client and the client asks me to e-mail some information over to him. I could not have forecasted what the next action will be for that project. What would be ideal is if I could switch from Context mode into the Planning mode and OmniFocus would bring me into the project related to that action or have some way to link you back and forth. Any thoughts?

How about this:

I believe that Show in Context/Planning Mode (on view menu) or its key command (opt-cmd-R) or its toolbar icon (switch) will do what you want. Highlight the action (your call to customer), then use the command, and you will be switched to the parent project in planning mode with your current action highlighted.

Ahhh, excellent. Thank you for pointing this out Lenore. I had a feeling this was already available and was cautious to post, but glad I did as this will save me a lot of time.

No problem. I'm glad you got what you needed from OF.