The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Feature Request: Exposure of OF event handlers Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello,
I am relatively new to Applescript in general, so possibly I am missing something in the current OF dictionary or the way that event handlers are exposed.

What I'd like to be able to do is create a script that will react to various events that may occur within OF, rather than me needing to explicitly invoke a script to make something happen. For example, so that I can make some custom thing happen whenever I mark a task as completed.

Poking around in the dictionaries of various other applications, an example of what I'd like to see exposed in OF can be seen in the iChat dictionary: it exposes not only the iChat Suite of classes, but also the iChat Event Handler Suite.

Can someone point me in the right direction, or else, consider this a feature request for a future release?

Thanks,
Rand

We have some reasonably generic handler support inside OmniFocus, but the only handler that we invoke right now is for clippings, and these have to be wrapped up in a bundle.

If you'd find this feature useful, let us know via Help > Send Feedback, including what situations you'd like to have the invoke the handler.

One of the issues with handlers that I've been mulling over is how to avoid cases where one handler does something that will provoke another handler, that will... etc. In some cases you *do* want to chain multiple handlers so we might just need to detect this at runtime and alert the user and disable the handlers until the next launch, or some such.

Thanks for your reply, Tim.

I will submit the request, along with a couple use cases, via Feedback.

I agree that a scripter can get into trouble if not careful about potential event chains/circles, but am not sure how much the app should do to systematically handle/prevent those situations. I'd start by keeping it simple, expose a select few handlers, and see how it goes.

Rand

Did anything ever happen on this? I, also, would like to see events exposed. I can think of a number of examples. If it hasn't made any progress, I'll send a feedback too.

Thanks,
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand View Post
Thanks for your reply, Tim.

I will submit the request, along with a couple use cases, via Feedback.

I agree that a scripter can get into trouble if not careful about potential event chains/circles, but am not sure how much the app should do to systematically handle/prevent those situations. I'd start by keeping it simple, expose a select few handlers, and see how it goes.

Rand