The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advice Request: Tracking Delegated Projects Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How do you guys track projects that you have delegated? Currently, I have a folder in OF called "delegated projects." There is a project for each delegated project. Each of these projects has something like "check with Fred to see the status of proect x." and the date that I need to do it. . .

It seems a little cumbersome do it this way. . . are there any better ideas?

I don't have delegated projects, but I do have delegated actions. I give each of these a context of Agenda:Alice, for example. Then, before I meet with Alice, I look at that context and see all the actions she is doing for me.

I guess if you have entire projects delegated, you could give the project a default context of Agenda:Alice, or whatever, then you basically have the same thing.

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

Expanding a bit on ambi's respone. It all depends on how involved you need to be with the project. If all you are doing is checking status, then it seems like this is a single-action task with context per ambi's suggestion.

If there are things you need to do related to this project, then you need to add the tasks that you do related to this project; and have a repeating task for checking on status with the project delegee.

If you are managing the project, then I would still be farming out sub-projects to my team, and I'm not sure I would want to deprive them of the responsiblity for managing their sub-projects - - all I need is status from them. Only your weak links would seem to warrant your maintaining a WBS for their sub-projects in OF.

BTW, I am assuming that this is a modestly sized project. I would put anything where resource management is a concern, where there are complex dependencies, and/or where reporting status exceeds a single simple status table into a spreadsheet or project management package. Of course, I would still use OF manage my tasks related to the project.