The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Single tasks-OF or something else (Like 2Do)? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Good evening, everyone. I was wondering if any of you use a second app for single and repeating tasks that don't belong to a project? I ask because I have a great number of projects and sometimes the day to day gets lost in the 'due/overdue' of projects.

I really find myself drawn to '2Do' (beautiful interface on iPhone/iPad with syncing) but worry about having two 'trusted systems.'

Thoughts?

-Marc

You find that the single action holders in OF don't work for you ?

(As in OF > inspectors > project > type > single action)

Rob,
Yes and no. Looking for more flexibility, I guess.

OF can let me concentrate on getting projects completed, another app could help me keep up with the minutae, without clogging OF. Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same...

I've tried this, but eventually got confused as to where I put stuff. In the end, the single action list in OF made the most sense. I'm actually happy to be with one application with everything in it. Sync improvements (speed) made it a non issue for me.

Marc,

How exactly is OmniFocus letting you down, in your view? In my experience, it does pretty well with this sort of thing...

Hi Lightstorm,

I don't think I would have 'devolved' my GTD into other programs on the desktop but with the release of Apple's iDevices my position on this changed.

I've posted on several occasions on both the OF iPad & OF iPhone forums about splitting out certain areas of my GTD from OmniFocus to other Apps . For example, here.

Hope this is helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstorm View Post
Good evening, everyone. I was wondering if any of you use a second app for single and repeating tasks that don't belong to a project? I ask because I have a great number of projects and sometimes the day to day gets lost in the 'due/overdue' of projects.

I really find myself drawn to '2Do' (beautiful interface on iPhone/iPad with syncing) but worry about having two 'trusted systems.'

Thoughts?

-Marc
I have a few questions:

. What are you trying to achieve with your GTD system?
. What do you find as a limitation for these sort of single focused items in OF?
. How is 2Do handling these type of items better for you as a user?

FWIW: I've been testing out 2Do for the past couple months and I really love some of their features. If they can just nail the syncing issues to make it 100% accurate they will have a 'trusted' system more people can use. They really built a fun to use GTD app in my opinion.