The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Person column for Delegate/Agenda Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I know there are other topics on this, so I hope Im not repeating something thats already out there:

When Im processing a Next Action, I may want to delegate it. The most basic thing I need to store in OF about this is the fact that its been delegated and the name of the person to whom its been delegated, and the date it was delegated.

I know I can create a Waiting For context to do the first part, but there is currently no assigned to column, which is sorely missing, in my opinion.

Furthermore, the same applies to Agenda contexts. These are items that Id like to talk to a person about or bring up in a team meeting the context is I am talking to Joe so I need to have at my finger tips my agenda items for Joe.

Likewise, any Call actions that relate to Joe.

When Im talking to Joe I want to have all this at my finger tips things I want to talk to him about, things Ive delegated to him I need to follow up on, etc.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofffitch
When Im processing a Next Action, I may want to delegate it. The most basic thing I need to store in OF about this is the fact that its been delegated and the name of the person to whom its been delegated, and the date it was delegated.

I know I can create a Waiting For context to do the first part, but there is currently no assigned to column, which is sorely missing, in my opinion.
A delegee field would be handy. The promised meta-data facility would work great for this if the meta-data could be displayed and searched on. The delegation date piece would be a bit heavier. Could you use start date for that (and due date for when you need to switch for waiting to following up)?

I currently prefix my actions in the Awaiting context with "From Joe", or whoever. That works OK but isn't ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofffitch
Furthermore, the same applies to Agenda contexts. These are items that Id like to talk to a person about or bring up in a team meeting the context is I am talking to Joe so I need to have at my finger tips my agenda items for Joe.

Likewise, any Call actions that relate to Joe.

When Im talking to Joe I want to have all this at my finger tips things I want to talk to him about, things Ive delegated to him I need to follow up on, etc.
Can you say more about needing a new column for Agenda or Call contexts?

Currently to do what you're talking about I would use a "Joe" subcontext. I could have a Joe subcontext under both Agenda and Call. Using cmd-click in the context sidebar I can easily filter to just items for Joe.

Hmm, I suppose I could use the same technique to create subcontexts of Awaiting. I'll probably try that for awhile.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Yea, I can see using sub-contexts. It's just the there are any number of people I may want to have be here and it is cumbersome to add and cluttered to have all these people have their own context. I'll play with it though.

Geoff
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofffitch
Yea, I can see using sub-contexts. It's just the there are any number of people I may want to have be here and it is cumbersome to add and cluttered to have all these people have their own context.
That's true. So far I've only made such subcontexts for the people I interact with the most. I put the other agenda/delegated/awaiting actions in the generic super-context.
__________________
Cheers,

Curt
 
Try this: Put "delegated Joe" in the Notes field for the action. When you want to see everything you've delegated, go to Context view and type "delegated" in the Search field in the Toolbar. If you want to limit it to Joe, add "Joe". It's not controlled metadata, but it is metadata.

The notes field doesn't have to be visible for this to work, by the way.
 
This is a good idea. It would be nice to delegate an action in a project. It would then be nice to have another view where you can see all actions that have been delegated.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to delegate and not lose overview Xraptorx OmniFocus for iPad 1 2012-05-15 10:14 AM
Tagging to supplement @<person> context agenda items omnibob Applying OmniFocus 0 2009-07-20 08:22 AM
Contexts = @ the person, or done by the person? Rockyroad Applying OmniFocus 6 2009-04-23 01:09 PM
Need to have context and delegate tah OmniFocus 1 for Mac 1 2009-04-01 03:56 PM
NSFlippableView delegate error PocketNinja OmniGraffle General 1 2007-12-11 12:52 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.