The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

More GTD than OF, but here goes... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hey all

So I am going through GTD (again) and using OmniFocus as the primary utility for this endeavor. I tend to get alot of ideas or thoughts about whatever in the car... and since texting and driving isnt a good plan, I would guess capture is generally out as well, unless OF is going to integrate the likes of Siri sometime soon.

My question is, how do you all deal with that? Many times by the time Im home and can capture a thought it is poof gone. Might anyone have any pointers?

I use reQall, and have it set to an email address that ends in +omnifocus. When I call reQall, it transcribes my task and sends it to me in an email that OF can automatically process. It's not perfect, because reQall isn't always the most accurate at transcribing what I say. But I can usually recall what I intended.

I don't get it -- why can't you use Siri in the car to capture things in Reminders (or whatever) and then transfer them?

I use Google Voice for this. I call my gvoice number with "call omni focus memo" which my phone knows as my gvoice number and leave a message. Gvoice recognizes the caller as xyz+omnifocus@blah.com. The message is transcribed and sent as email. On my mac at home the +omnifocus part of the sender is recognized and the email is processed with the Mail Action script. Eventually the item syncs back to my phone in OF.

I wish Siri was my friend too.

And now I shall fantasize about an app called "OmniDiane" that handles this sort of thing. ;-)

Wow Brian, I have an entirely new level of respect for you!

I don't know what the initial poster's situation is. However, since I don't have an iPhone, I can't use Siri.

I have tried Siri and it does work, I was just curious if maybe there was some integrated way to handle it is all. The concept of OmniDiane is indeed an interesting idea... I heard something about Nuance releasing and SDK for voice/app integration outside of Siri...

Maybe I'm missing something, but I've been using this http://www.omnigroup.com/blog/entry/...speaking_terms since a few days after Siri was released to do what I think is exactly what you want. It works quite well for me.