The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Recommendation for reference material: Together 2.0 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I've tried a whole bunch of different apps for storing reference material (Yojimbo, DevonThink, Notebook, etc.) and have recently settled on Together 2.0 (I have no relationship with the company that makes it). It's $40 and Leopard only.

For one thing, it's a very Mac-looking app that's a pleasure to use. But the killer feature for me is the ability to preview the contents of all file types that are supported by QuickLook in Leopard so I can quickly see what's in my files without opening the app: txt, pdf, MS Office, iWork, Mail.app's .eml files, web archives, etc.

Even better, there have been recent updates to some of my key apps to support QuickLook: OmniGraffle, OmniPlan, and MindManager.

Sure, I could use the Finder to browse in QuickLook/CoverFlow, but I find Together's iTunes-like interface to be much better for previewing.

It also stores all your documents in a Finder folder structure, not in a giant proprietary database like Yojimbo.

A downside is that it's not quite as snappy and sturdy feeling as DevonThink and Yojimbo. I'm not sure how it'll scale up to really large libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlin71 View Post
It also stores all your documents in a Finder folder structure, not in a giant proprietary database like Yojimbo.
Just a small correction: Yojimbo does store its a documents in a giant database, but it's not proprietary. It's an SQLite database. SQLite is as open as can be (it's actually public domain) and you can (if you are so inclined) open the Yojimbo database without Yojimbo, using the Mac OS X command line SQLite client (/usr/bin/sqlite3).

JP

I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone mention Eagle Filer.

or

http://www.journler.com

Price just went up, but it is still a good value.

It looks like if you did a lot of set up work --- it could serve as a gtd program

active forum --- always a nice asset(as it is here)

and people writing applescripts

I went from Yojimbo to KIT (the predecessor of Together) to EagleFiler, and I've been very happy with EagleFiler.

I also like Together. I have been using DevonThink Pro for ages, but it is too easy to fill it with cr@p
Together is so easy to use - a tab at the side of the screen anf a drag and drop later - it's there

I'm looking at both Together and EagleFiler right now - any additional insight would be much appreciated!

Mark

While Together looks nicer than EagleFiler, it's two major downfalls as far as I can tell are:

1. Uses Spotlight for searching which can be slow (EagleFiler maintains it's own index and so is much quicker).
2. No importing or exporting to file's spotlight comments field for tags (although I understand this is planned for v2.1).

The benefit of Together over EagleFiler is that it looks way better, it's tag management within the program is nicer, and it uses Quick Look to display file previews.

About Quicklook and EagleFiler: I found an old thread from November asking about it, and the developer said it would be implemented. I asked when we could expect it and he said it will be in 1.3 (current version is 1.2.7). The thread is here: http://c-command.com/forums/showthre...=4421#post4421

One other feature I also use a lot in EagleFiler is the importing of mail. I have too much mail for Mail.app, and archiving away in EF is very useful.

Quote:
I also like Together. I have been using DevonThink Pro for ages, but it is too easy to fill it with cr@p
That makes absolutely no sense. You are in control of what you put in any database. How can you blame that on the software? Should they make it more difficult to add things?

Quote:
Together is so easy to use - a tab at the side of the screen anf a drag and drop later - it's there
Nothing new. Yojimbo had that first.