The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I have been using OmniWeb 5.5's beta for the past week. Here are the bug reports Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello!
Over the past week, I have carefully observed each aspect of the program as closely as I could and have jotted down a bunch of bugs as and when I have noticed them.
  • When you scroll down a page that is still loading, the page reverts to the top on being loaded fully. (Update: solved)
  • When you drag text to the edge of the screen, it does not scroll down. So, for example I am browsing a forum and I want to drag some text down to the quick reply field, I cannot do so because on dragging the text to the bottom edge, the page does not scroll down.

Picture 1: I dragged 'Post New Thread' to the edge of the screen but it did not scroll down.
  • For some reason, you cannot drag the links on Google's search results page. I generally open links by dragging them onto the tab drawer but I cannot do so on Google's search results page.
  • After entering the username and password in the quick login field on online (vBulletin) forums, the tab button does not move the selection to either the 'Remember me' checkbox or the 'Login' button.
  • When you type a few letters in the address bar and then scroll down the list of previously visited links, the addresses do not appear in the address bar. So if you want to slightly alter a previously view webpage's address, you have to open it, hit 'Stop', click on the address bar and then proceed to editing any part of the URL. (Update: solved)

Picture 2: I typed 'omni' in Opera (background) and scrolled down. As I scroll through each page from the history, the URL appears in the address bar. But in OmniWeb (foreground), the contents of the address bar do not change as I scroll through the available history.
  • Drop down menus and auto complete suggestions do not appear properly sometimes.

Picture 3: As you can see, all the suggestions are slightly cut from the bottom.
  • When I launch OmniWeb, it always loads the default workspace. The default workspace is something I never created and contains two tabs that I never segregated into a workspace. In fact, I do not use workspaces at all. My preferences are set to open the 'OmniWeb default' on launch. (Update: solved)
These are the bugs I have discovered in my week's worth of usage. Hope they get fixed in upcoming versions.
Thank you! :)

Last edited by aryayush; 2006-12-26 at 10:55 AM..

1. Are you sure there aren't any targets on the page you tested that on? I just tested it on CNN.com, it worked fine.

3. I just tried it, worked here.

5. Looks like omnigroup.com should be farther down in the list. The autocomplete in OW works a little differently than in other browsers.

7. Not sure where the bug is here. What do you want it to load? If you have auto-save while browsing enabled, it will just reload the last workspace you had open.

1. Yeah, it is working fine. I dunno, might have been a one time occurrence.

3. Well, it still does not work in my browser. Are you sure you tried to drag the links on Google's search results page? I've just realised that only the main links do not work. The 'cached' and 'similar pages' links can be dragged though.

5. Yeah, it works differently and that's what I find cumbersome. It is not a major bug though. In fact, depending on how you look at it, it is not even a bug.

7. This is my workspaces window:

As you can see 'Auto-save while browsing' is not enabled and it still keeps auto saving web pages I open. Plus, I can neither delete the default workspace nor can I delete the individual links within the workspace. I just want OmniWeb's default blank page (with the OmniWeb logo and Google search field) to open when I launch the browser. Actually, I would love to see it open the tabs from my last session but since that feature is unavailable, at least give me a clean slate.

I can't drag Google search results to the tab drawer either, but it doesn't happen all the time. I haven't reported it because I don't know how to reproduce it.

As for your workspaces, aryayush, close all your tabs and take a snapshot. I think that's how I got my workspace back to normal ("blank slate") after I started mucking with workspaces and messed everything up.

Yeah, I found that in the help files. Thanks! :)

But that is a rather poor implementation. Why isn't there a simple button to delete an existing snapshot? Deleting an existing snapshot by taking a snapshot of a blank session is not the most obvious thing to do.

Not sure what you dislike about the workspace implementation. I really like it. I would suggest you're just used to doing it a different way and are finding the change difficult.

There has to always be one workspace. You can configure it many different ways.

Workspaces are an acquired taste. Cool concept, cumbersome implementation. I thought I did everything correctly to save a new workspace (I did RTFM), and the next time OW started, found all my work was gone. Unpleasant.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. In direct response to the current conversation, OW's preference panes have a "Reset" button at the bottom. I *love* when applications do this and really appreciate its presence in OW. What I would also really appreciate is if that same Reset button would make an appearance somewhere in the Workspaces pane. Taking a snapshot of a blank workspace breaks the paradigm of clicking on "return to default factory settings," a far simpler solution for users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Not sure what you dislike about the workspace implementation. I really like it. I would suggest you're just used to doing it a different way and are finding the change difficult.

There has to always be one workspace. You can configure it many different ways.
Now that I have understood how workspaces work in OmniWeb, I find them really useful and cool - almost as good as Opera's. What I did not like is that you have to take a snapshot of a blank workspace to delete an existing snapshot. No one would be able to guess that without looking at the help files. Now that I know, it's fine for me, but new users will always be confused when they take a snapshot while experimenting with workspaces and OmniWeb keeps launching that snapshot each time they open the browser.
It is not a big issue though. Just a minor glitch.
Thanks for your help! :)

P.S. - Aren't there any developers of OmniWeb on this forum? How do I know whether they have taken note of any of these requests or not?

P.S. - Aren't there any developers of OmniWeb on this forum? How do I know whether they have taken note of any of these requests or not?

Go to Help-Send feedback...They will take notice...

Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush
Now that I have understood how workspaces work in OmniWeb, I find them really useful and cool - almost as good as Opera's. What I did not like is that you have to take a snapshot of a blank workspace to delete an existing snapshot. No one would be able to guess that without looking at the help files.
I would have ;) But I have also used workspaces quit a bit.

Quote:
Now that I know, it's fine for me, but new users will always be confused when they take a snapshot while experimenting with workspaces and OmniWeb keeps launching that snapshot each time they open the browser.
Generalization.

To me it doesn't make sense to be continually taking snapshots, let alone getting it all down to just one blank workspace. But that's just the way I work. I have a dozen or so workspaces, each one setup with a default set of windows and tabs for the given workspace. For example, my "Chat" workspace has a number of fourms and news web sites. I have autosave turned on, so if those forums link to other sites, all of those windows get saved. But if I want to go back to the default set, I just reload the snapshot.

If I wanted to clear out a workspace completely, I would hold down the option key while closing a window, then hit command+control+t. In one click and one hit of a keyboard shortcut, I've got a snapshot of a blank workspace.

Quote:
This is more of a members-helping-members forum. The Omni employees do post here, but it's not guaranteed that they read everything.