The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Aligning lines Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I seem to have a rather basic problem, nevertheless so far I couldn't figure it out by myself and the help menu.

What I am trying to achieve is a sort of organizational chart where rectangles are connected by lines in a hierarchical way. The lines are set to orthogonal. What happens to me now is, that after moving the rectangles that are connected by the lines around (I set the canvas raster to "snap") even the rectangles themselves are perfectly aligned, but the connecting lines are not anymore. This gives the whole chart a rather ugly look as the connecting lines that should be exactly on level horizontally are now separated by a fraction of a millimeter. This can be seen on the screen as well as on the printout.

So far I couldn't find a way to re-aligen them, the horizontal part of the orthogonal lines stay always a fraction of a millimeter away from the grid. Even more strange it is possible to let them snap exactly on a certain horizontal gridline but they do not snap exactly to the next horizontal gridline. Different horizontal lines will also snap in a different way, thus making it impossible for me to get several lines perfectly aligned on top of each other horizontally.

This behavior only occurs after I move the shapes that are connected by lines. After the initial connection of the shapes all lines are perfectly aligned on the grid, but then after the connected shapes are moved around the connection lines become mis-aligned.

I hope I could make my problem clear and I hope you can give some advise :)

I wonder if you could include a snapshot ?

In the meanwhile, a few quick thoughts and questions:
  • Does the problem go if you Select All and then slightly move/nudge the whole diagram ?
  • Is there any variation in the size of the rectangles ?
  • Is Automatic layout switched on ?
  • Does it help if you increase the rank separation (size of the gap between rows) ?

(It would also be worth submitting a copy of your file to the Ninjas through Help > Send Feedback ...)

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2011-12-20 at 09:57 PM..