The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View: Sort by due date... Am I Missing something? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi.

When I evaluate projects, I like to have the actions sort by due date. As much as I have tried to do so, for what ever the reason, they do not get sorted. Can anyone guide me in what I am doing wrong or missing? Please find below and image of the screen.

Thanks a lot. Martin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sort by Due date in Project View.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	411  

In projects view, it's sorting the *projects* by due date, not the actions inside them. As far as I know, there is no way to sort the actions by due date within the projects.

Could this be considered as a feature? For planning purposes, at least for me, it make a lot of sense to see the activities sorted by due date. This way they are aligned to the actual flow of the project and make it a lot easier to think in terms on the timeline of activities taking place.

Does this make sense? I would love to see this feature...

At first I thought, me too...if you have a bunch of actions that each have a due date, doesn't it make sense to sort them by due date.

But then I thought, well that assumes that they all have an equal duration, and they all are started sequentially in the same order (or some other mathematically-correct variant of duration and start dates).

But, then again the clincher is that you specifically asked OmniFocus to sort by Due date, which implies ignore the start date or the order you may have manually dragged your actions.

(Lets assume that projects will sort first.)

So then the question becomes, do we want task due dates within a project to sort too?

I guess it depends:
a) when the View ribbon is not sorting by due dates, tasks should revert to their manual position within projects
b) certainly in Context mode that makes sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
In projects view, it's sorting the *projects* by due date, not the actions inside them. As far as I know, there is no way to sort the actions by due date within the projects.
A while ago I posted about wanting a way to sort the tasks in the Planning View by due date. The more I use the application, the more I miss this feature.

Perhaps it's because the way I am using it, or missing to realize something.

But when I plan, my head tends to conceive a project in a logical way. There are in many cases logical dependencies between tasks, and they are clearly articulated by their start or due date.

So having a way to sort by either date would make a lot of sense to me. Is anyone out there having the same issue I have? If not, how are you dealing with it?

Thanks!

I agree. It is really important to short by due date. I would add the requirement of consistency: if due dates are not in order in a project (the due date of an action is before any of the due dates of preceding actions) an alarm should advice of the inconsistency. This would be really helpful for planning.

Actions sorted by due date within projects makes sense to me. Could be a preference option, if some users want sorting in project view to work the way it does now. As it is now, unsorted actions can equate to "here's a project and here's a bunch of stuff to get it done, in no particular order".

One can use the "u" and "d" keys to move actions around, but my fingers are tired after keying in all those randomly-arranged actions ;-))

Paul

Yes my thread about repeating actions not appearing in the correct place automatically once the source action is complete is one routine that would benefit from a sort by due date within a project.

OmniFocus treats actions within a project as an ordered list of actions. You can get a sorted list of actions for a particular project in context view, though.

Select one or more projects in Planning view sidebar.
Select View -> Focus on selected projects
Switch to context view, sort by due date. (Or start date)

If this is something you'll use frequently, you can select "Save this view as new perspective" from the perspectives menu.

Thanks. I will give this a try. I feel that for me it would be better to be a feature in Planning Mode. That's the way I look at athem all the time aI am planning. I guess it's the way I think or that I need to develop new ways to better levelrage the app. Martin.