The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Need help organizing a group of people. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hello, all!

I'm having some issues trying to figure out a way to organize the tasks I have for a group of people working for me. Each has their own tasks they must complete, but there are some tasks they ALL must complete. In Things, this was easy due to the multiple tags, but I can't think of a way to handle it in OF. I'd like to be able to search based on who is in my office at the moment to cover everything we need to discuss / complete, but I don't want to have to create the same task 5 times to cover it with each person.

Any ideas?

Assuming that you have a Context for each person, you can create an additional Context called "All". Tasks that everyone needs to complete go in "All". When Sally is in your office, you'll have to check 2 Contexts ("Sally" and "All"), but at least you'll only have to create the task once.

You could then create a perspective for each person that shows that persons context and the all context.

In case it helps, the approach I use for tasks like this is to create a hierarchy of contexts. As an example, I have an overarching context for each functional group inside the company, with the various folks from that department having individual contexts inside that one.

Tasks for a specific person get assigned to their context; tasks that can be completed by any member of the group get assigned to the parent context.

Attached screenshot of my database shows the approach in action. Most of the groups are collapsed - there are just about 50 folks in the company now, which would make for a crazy-tall screenshot if I showed them all. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Context.png
Views:	1182
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	2217