The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Org Charts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am a PC convert to Mac and was devastated that VISIO was not offered in MAC. However I have downloaded Omnigraffle and find it similar...but I have one issue.

How can I rearrange sub groups on an org chart. For instance when I create a hierarchy it may cascade the subordinates horizontally...but what if I want it vertical with linking lines (to save space). I tried manually doing this and the lines go crazy and it is a nightmare to fix and i have to add magnets...etc. I hope there is a more simple way to highlight the selected objects and simply arrange them vertically instead. Does anyone know? BTW - not to be confused with vertical alignment of the whole org chart...as that is an option but not the one I need.

thanks! Doris

The foregrounding of automatic layout in the key features of OG, and the pole position of a neat and symmetrical-looking org-chart in the OmniGraffle marketing gallery might well encourage exploration of OG as a quick generator of org-charts.

OG does provide a perfectly good environment for manually laying out and formatting tree diagrams and org-charts, but you won't get much help from the Graphviz engine which automatic layout is based on – Graphviz was really designed for other things.

(It doesn't support vertical stacking of the lowest level of the tree, introduces spurious asymmetries even into simpler trees, and often makes orthogonal links overlap in a way that creates ambiguities). See, for example, these other threads:

Automatic layout - advanced and undocumented features

Automatic layout works poorly with orthogonal connectors

--

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-02 at 02:08 AM..

Basic org charts can be made in Word or PowerPoint. This program was advertised as a VISIO equal. Disappointing to say the least. Can anyone recommend a decent MAC org chart creator?

Thanks!

If you are within 30 days of purchase, you can get a full refund by contacting Omni directly.

It does seem a pity that OmniGraffle has less Org Chart capacity than even Word and Powerpoint (and is consequently liable to lose sales).

This is a bit unexpected in the light of the the marketing presentation which seems to aim for the impression that the layout engine is a powerful feature, and that tidy and symmetrical org charts are within its scope.

(One of the major sub-groups of the built-in template and style menus is, after all, labelled 'Organizational Charts').

--

So far so good,

But we only have to add one more shape to see some problems beginning to emerge: spurious asymmetries, and distracting dog-leg lines.

With 3 more new hires, overlapping connectors can even make the diagram ambiguous.

Neither Powerpoint nor Word seem to have these difficulties. See below ...

--
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-12-30 at 23.19.30.png
Views:	11068
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	2167   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 00.41.47.png
Views:	15318
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	2177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 00.49.27.png
Views:	15317
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2178  

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-02 at 12:21 AM..

Microsoft Word or Powerpoint, or even Excel - not the default style that I would have chosen, but at least the layout engine works ...

(Compare to the OG layout of the same outline above).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-01-02 at 01.02.16.png
Views:	10921
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	2180  

Last edited by RobTrew; 2012-01-02 at 03:11 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhales View Post
Basic org charts can be made in Word or PowerPoint. This program was advertised as a VISIO equal. Disappointing to say the least. Can anyone recommend a decent MAC org chart creator?

Thanks!
I don't know how good 'decent' is, but you might try a cloud tool, since it'll for sure work on your platform. I'd say Lucidchart.com is pretty decent

Org charts for mac shouldn't be a problem

there are more than a few cloud tools in the chrome web store, might look around there