The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Selective synching wih iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I am currently using iGTD, freeware which unfortunately has not moved to Leopard yet; I am also synching iCal with my Palm Treo.
I have a long list of to dos, mostly project based . iGTD offers selective synching of flagged entries only, which means I dont clutter my iCal (and my Palm Treo) with To dos that are not relevant.

How can I have selective synching with Omnifocus?

I don't believe you can tell OF to sync only flagged items, but you can control which contexts sync to which ical calendars, and that may be a solution. Just create a special context or contexts which you would like to have synced to ical, and to those contexts assign the items which you want to sync to ical. The selection of which contexts go onto which calendars is found under preferences/sync.

The point is that I will only flag the items that I need to synch to iCal and then my Palm to take with me. The rest is what I do next to my computers which I dont need to have on my Palm.
For the price of Omnifocus, I believe it should have that feature built in...

I'm happy to write a feature request up on this for you, but can you outline what the flag-based synching enables you to do that's better than context-based synching?

Example: I synch my 'errands', 'portland', 'phone', and several person-centric contexts so i can take them with me when I'm out and about. I can't think of a case where I'd want to leave an action in another context, but flag it to synch it to my phone. (This doesn't mean that one doesn't exist, of course; I just need a bit of guidance.)

Sorry for the soapboxing: we get a fair number of feature requests that basically assume that because something is obvious to the user, it's obvious to us. That's generally not the case, or we would have done it that way. ;-)