The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Bug Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

5.5.3 eating 100% of both CPUs Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm running the latest version on a 17" MBP (but also have it installed on a 4G5). I was all ready to cough up the measly eight quid, then I realised that the system was running slower than a tortoise through tar. Fired up Activity Monitor and it was obvious as to the culprit.

It's a shame because I do the Daily Telegraph crossword online every day and it's the only browser that will run the applet (it won't run in any other browser, save SeaMonkey and that's not reliable) as it's supposed to be 'under development' for Mac users, but it will run, but only in OW.

So, as I have this issue on two, totally different systems (obviously one PPC and one Intel) and it's the same on both, which means it can only be an issue with OW itself.

So - whaddyagonnadoabadit...? :D <grin>

Sarah

What happens with Safari or the latest web kit?

Sounds to me like a problem with the applet, especially since it's officially not supported on the mac.

There is a known issue with Javascript and "garbage collection" in the version of WebKit that OmniWeb currently uses that causes the CPU to spike. Until OmniWeb is updated to a newer version of WebKit that doesn't suffer from this problem, then you have to quit and re-launch OmniWeb to return CPU usage to normal (note, if you check the Auto-save while browsing option in the Workspace window, upon re-launch your session will be restored to the same sites as when you quit). It is annoying (sometimes amazingly so), but unavoidable at the moment.

You know, I have to wonder,why should Omni even bother then with 5.5.x betas? They should go right to 5.6, put in the latest WebKit, and then have us shale out the bugs like with 5.5.

It just seems like 90% of the bugs people report are due to incompatible and older webkit.

Unless they're just biding their time until Leopard for 5.6.

With all due respect, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the applet (and I am sorry I mentioned it now) - it doesn't run under Safari (I thought I made that clear) the only other browser it runs under is SeaMonkey but, as I said, that sticks places the applet's buttons right in the middle of the crossword grid, which doesn't make for easy solving!

I do not have the applet running now, I have four tabs running - one has Wikipedia, one Google Groups, one GMail and the fourth this forum. According to Activity Monitor, OW is chomping its way through 98% of BOTH CPUs and over a GB of my precious RAM (okay, I have 3GB - the maximum a MBP can take - but every byte is precious). That is NOT normal behaviour for a Web browser (and I've used over a dozen in my time - IE (Win), Mozilla (Win), Firefox (Win), iCab, Safari, Camino, SeaMonkey (Win), IE (Mac), Mozilla (Mac), Firefox (Mac), SeaMonkey (Mac), Lynx, Links, SeaMonkey (Linux)).

So, like I said, this is an issue peculiar to OW, and I need something done about it before I shell out £8 of my hard-earned. Please...

Cheers

Sarah

I should have been clearer - whether you are expressly running a JS applet or not, this garbage collection bug can still hit you at any time as so many sites use JS for various different things, and especially so with AJAX becoming so popular. E.g. GMail uses a lot of JS.

FWIW, prior to OmniWeb 5.5, this CPU usage was not normal behaviour for OmniWeb either but, unfortunately for OmniGroup and we end users, the version of WebKit they cherry picked for the upgrade has this really annoying bug.

Thank you Jonathan (or do you prefer Jon?) I shall keep my money firmly in my bank account until they deign to fix it.

I'd hardly describe a bug as merely 'annoying' when it renders the browser completely useless which, in turn, has a knock-on effect on the rest of the system. I like OW, it suits my needs as a browser and I don't consider £8 to be too much to spend on a decent browser (though I'm all for open source, too).

I have just read my previous message back and I did sound a bit grumpy for which I would like to apologise. It's been a very trying month thus far...And it being Valentine's Day didn't help matters one iota, either. Not an easy day for me...

Cheers

Sarah

I had been using Omniweb for awhile on my MBP and more recently on a Mac Pro. I have never noticed anything but very minimal (almost non-existant) CPU usage while using Omniweb. I am just trying to get a grasp on what kind of issue would cause the CPU usage to spike. I have never had this occur in my usage of it and it is the only browser I use. Just curious if certain conditions need to be met to duplicate this? Just not sure I am understanding the conditions that cause it.

I am just asking as more of a curiousity than anything else. I have had some issues with the version of webkit OW uses. The well documented Netflix one and a small handful of others. Generally though I have been very happy with CPU and memory usage of the program.

Last edited by iSean1; 2007-02-14 at 08:31 PM..

It has been happening for me ever since the first OmniWeb 5.5 sneakypeek. It is impossible to track down for me as it doesn't always happen, but it often starts when I load up one particular Workspace (though not necessarily the first time I do so!). However, whenever it does happen, if you perform a sample on the OmniWeb process (and I did this a lot when reporting it to OmniGroup), you will see a lot of KJS in the output (which represents Konquerer JavaScript engine, I believe).

Sarah, the reason it is merely "annoying" should be obvious now - not everyone suffers from it and for some of those that do, it only happens sporadically. However, as someone who does suffer from it, I really wish that OmniGroup would hurry up with the shift to a newer version of WebKit... it does seem to be taking forever! ;)

Jonathan,

Thank you for the reply! I was trying to figure out what was going on with that. I had been monitoring Omniweb myself and have been generally pleased with the results. I was surprised when I came across this thread. I thought perhaps there was a flaw in what I was monitoring. I had been using Apples Activity Monitor and iStat Pro to look at CPU and memory usage. Activity Monitor generally shows Omniweb CPU usage in the 0.20 to 0.70 percent range. Generally in the 0.20 to 0.40 percent range. Watching the bars the load appears to shift between cores. Is there a better way to be monitoring this?

Sorry if that is more questions than you cared to get into on the subject that is fine, just say so! As I said in my previous post it is more a curiosity question than anything else. :)

Last edited by iSean1; 2007-02-15 at 05:17 AM..