The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

default canvas resolution too low Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi,

While talking about default resolution for a vector drawing app seems out of place, it's still appropriate, if only because you can set rulers unit to be either length (I use centimeters) or pixels.

And it seems to me there is a problem:

For my default A4 page canvas (with 0,5 cm margins), the horizontal ruler set to cm, shows my canvas width to be 20 cm. So far so good.

When I switch the ruler units to pixels, it shows my canvas width to be around 567 pixels.

This is equivalent to a resolution of 567/20=28.35 pixels per cm, or (surprise!) 72 pixels per inch.

Is there a way to change that default resolution? I'd rather use a printer friendlier 300 dpi, depending on circumstances.

You might wonder why it makes any difference. After all, it's a vector drawing program.

It does when you paste raster images in there, especially pieces of screen shots (I use Skitch), while my *actual* screen resolution is *not* 72 dpi. I need to scale down all my pasted pictures by a constant factor, which is generally a PITA, all the more so because there is no simple way to do that in Omnigraffle (that I know of).

Thanks for any suggestion.

Edit: I suppose that a workaround can be found with the scale factor. I'll play a bit with that.

Last edited by jdmuys; 2009-01-09 at 06:54 AM..

I don't use Photoshop anymore, but here is what I did back then.

Since Photoshop is not a vector program, you have to plan for the resolution in advance. I typically used the same resolution as my target printer, which was 300 dpi at the time. You might want to intentionally use a lower resolution (and whole fraction preferably) in a few cases. For example if your target printer is very hi-res, you may not need your canvas to be that hi-res. Or if your targer printer is Blac&White and your document is color, you might expect dithering anyway.

In addition to setting the resolution, you need to also set the physical dimensions, in order to know the number of pixels. In fact among the three parameters (resolution, dimensions, pixels), pick any two, the third results. Pixels = dimensions x resolution (expressed in coherent units of course).

That doesn't help with Omnigraffle problem obviously.

Any news on this issue? How are others here dealing with inserting screenshots into a document? Whatever I do, any image I insert into OmniGraffle looks fuzzy.