The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

How does one convert a Project item to single-action task list under a folder? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have come back to OmniFocus after trying many other GTD solutions. I am using the Omnifocus on the Mac, iPhone, and iPad. OmniFocus still remains the most powerful and less intuitive package. GTD systems should not bog you down with organizing your thoughts.

I know this question has been posted several times, yet the answers don't really get me further along.

When one adds a quick task entry, it ends up in the inbox, which is perfect. Then you drag the single action item into a folder and it becomes a project; not always ideal. I want to convert the project into a single action item. It seems that folders can only hold projects; and projects hold single action items (which is not ideal).

Here are some thoughts on my hierarchy.

House (Folder)
Finish Shelf Lining (Project) @Home
Shelf lining - Cabinet under the sink (Single Action) @Home
Shelf lining - Cabinet above the fridge (Single Action) @Home
Route the ethernet cable from the Living Rm (Single Action; but OF defaults to Project) @Home
UnPacking (Project) @Home
Box 1 (Single Action) @Home
Box 2(Single Action) @Home
Call the Plumber (Single Action; but OF defaults to Project) @PhoneCall
Do I have to convert my folders to projects; then use them for projects and single actions? The question relates to disregarding Folders as the top level hierarchy. Please explain how you use Folders versus Projects versus Single Action Collections. I am just use to organizing tasks in folders and tasks having subtasks.

Folders can only hold projects (and other folders).

From your example it looks like "Call the Plumber" is the action you're not sure what to do with.

If there's a bigger goal to calling the plumber, then go ahead and make that project even if it only has one action so far.

Code:
Deal with Leaky Sink
     - Call the Plumber
Then when you realize that the Leaky Sink has also made all the stuff under the sink icky, you have a place to add more actions:

Code:
Deal with Leaky Sink
     - Call the Plumber
     - Clean everything under the bathroom sink
     - Check basement ceiling for damage from leaky sink
But sometimes there really are just one-off tasks. I have a project named "Sporadic Household" with its type set to Single Actions. That's where I would put an action if I really expect it to just be a one-off thing.

Code:
Household [Folder]
    Get gas fireplace insert installed in basement [Project]
         - Call fireplace store w/ measurements
         - Tidy up so fireplace can be installed
         - Pick out fireplace face
    Deal with Leaky Sink [Project]
         - Call the Plumber
         - Clean everything under the bathroom sink
         - Check basement ceiling for damage from leaky sink
    Sporadic Household [Single Action Project]
         - Hang coat rack by front door
         - Hose down patio furniture

Is it really true that folders can only hold projects (and other folders)?

It would seem to me that the Single-Action List, such as it is described on page 28 of the OmniFocus manual, would be precisely what Neville310 is looking for, even if Lizardīs solution seems more elegant to me, considering that every action is supposed to have some purpose.

Last edited by janwybe; 2013-12-09 at 07:01 AM..

You cannot put an action or action group directly into a folder.

A single action list is a type of project. So a folder could hold a single action list. That is what my Household folder and Sporadic Household list show.

Going back to the original poster's example, one could make House a single action list project, with action groups for Finish Shelf Lining and Unpacking, and an action for "Route the ethernet cable".

Perhaps I'm not understanding your suggestion?