The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

When I set the Project value on an Inbox task... Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Why does the task stay in the Inbox? Do I really have to drag it to the project as well as setting it on the action item?

It waits politely for confirmation, (otherwise, if you made a mistake, it would already have vanished off to an unknown place).

Then, when you wish to confirm ...

RT

One little potential "gotcha":

I have noticed that if you add an action to the Inbox, set project and context, set it to repeat, and then check it off as completed, all without having done the clean up step Rob mentioned, the newly created repeat will appear in the Inbox, and will not have the project you assigned. Apparently, even though it looks as if the project has been assigned, the actual assignment doesn't take place until the clean up is done. A bit of a nuisance when you think of a new repeating action and immediately do it as you enter it...

Yeah, I was actually processing my inbox, which means that once an action is assigned to a project it really should disappear. Oh well. The cleanup button will be quicker than physically dragging them out of the inbox, but I would expect them to disappear from the inbox when I change the context from "Inbox" to something else.

Thanks for the tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vramin View Post
Yeah, I was actually processing my inbox, which means that once an action is assigned to a project it really should disappear.
They used to do that. You wouldn't believe how incredibly frustrating it was to have actions vanish before you were done editing them. For example, suppose you set the project and context. Poof, the action "disappears". Argh, you still wanted to set the start date.

Two other tips for Inbox clean up:
  • Cmd-K is the hot key for Cleanup.
  • Under General Preferences, you can check “Immediate clean up Quick Entry items” to have Quick Entry items bypass the Inbox altogether. (Provided you've provided the project and context, or whatever you've specified on the Data Preferences pane.

Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
They used to do that. You wouldn't believe how incredibly frustrating it was to have actions vanish before you were done editing them. For example, suppose you set the project and context. Poof, the action "disappears". Argh, you still wanted to set the start date.
Even now I still find the occasional case where editing something causes the item to slip out of my grasp (and sight) like a greased watermelon, though I don't recall it happening in the Inbox recently. It wouldn't be so bad if the Inspector still had a link to it, but often it doesn't.

As someone who came from OF's predecessor, KGTD, built on OmniOutliner and a bunch of Applescripts, the whole click a button to make the view change notion is quite familiar ground. I can understand why someone who has only experienced the current scheme might think they would be better off without it, but IMO it would be a usability nightmare for most, especially new users already feeling overwhelmed by the many options for inadvertently hiding one's data.

As always, let them know about your enhancement requests with Help->Send Feedback or email omnifocus@omnigroup.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
(off topic) Hey Rob, how did you make that cool arrow for your screenshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb View Post
(off topic) Hey Rob, how did you make that cool arrow for your screenshot?
The arrow looks like it's from the screen capture tool Skitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
The arrow looks like it's from the screen capture tool Skitch
Skitch indeed.

Worth a look.