The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

How to remove action from project but keep it? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi
The following might be a little bit confusing.
I'm (relatively) new to OF and I made a couple of mistakes in the beginning. I used OF for collecting thoughts, notes and ideas primarily. So I decided to just start projects that I put into several folders with headlines like ToDo, Ideas, Notes, Info, Private, Business, Books,... Sometimes I created projects and added actions fitting the title of the project or the parenting folder sometimes the action was the project. I added a context of the same title to every project and/or action. Now I have tons of projects and actions and I am lost. So when I want to use OF now as what it is meant for - GTD - I am drowned in so many folders projects and actions that I cannot really use it. Instead of using OF I have to use Things from Cultured Code.

But because of I have marked every action with the same context like the parenting folders and projects before (ToDo, Ideas, Notes, Info, Private, Business, Books,...) every entry shows up in my context area.

I want to do the following: My plan is to keep of course all the actions I've got and convert projects to actions so that everything I ever put into OF only shows up in the in the context area. In my opinion I then would have an empty project area where I can then add only projects I really need to do. I could take actions from the context area and assign them to new projects I want to get done.

So the questions are:

1) How can I convert projects into actions to minimize the mass in my project area?
2) Can I convert folders or their content into actions?
3) How can I empty my projects area without loosing anything and keep everything in the context area?

Right now I make use of OF only as a kind of thought collection and when I want to get things done I use Things from Cultured Code as mentioned above. But I don't want to use 2 apps - I want to stick to OF as my only GTD software.

Please help ;-)

Vulgo