The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Capturing stuff without a Mac Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi guys,

I'm a long time OmniFocus user on the iPhone and Mac and absolutely love it. But one thing remains that's been bothering me forever: at work, I cannot use my beloved Mac, and it's always been a pain to capture things that come to my mind there.

I'm a software developer and need to capture things from my desktop very quickly, such as stuff from an open browser window or a quick note from eclipse into my inbox. Typing on the iPhone/iPad isn't exactly fast and disrupts my usual flow of work.

What do you use to get stuff into OmniFocus when you're away from a Mac?

So far, the best I've found is a bookmarklet that sends stuff to the inbox via GMail. It requires my Mac at home to be always on and process the email first though, so it's a bit cumbersome.

I'd love to hear how others bridge the (Mac-less) gap :)

Have you tried the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com service? Email something there, it comes back as a specially formatted email with a link to click to stuff it into the OmniFocus quick entry facility.

Last edited by whpalmer4; 2011-05-19 at 09:34 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Have you tried the send-to-omnifocus@omnigroup.com service? Email something there, it comes back as a specially formatted email with a link to click to stuff it into the OmniFocus quick entry facility.
I wasn't aware of that, thanks! That should allow me to capture things to email without having to leave my Mac at home running all day. It still requires me to switch to my iOS device to actually get the stuff in the inbox though. Wishing for an OmniFocus cloud service here, which allows listing/organizing stuff in a browser :)

I would wonder that someone has not yet coded an AppleScript to import a CSV or tab-delimited file in to OF. This would seem like such a generally useful tool all around. You could then use a general purpose text-editor on the PC to collect ideas, send the list via email, and import it.

action, start, due, context
test this out, 5/20/2011 9am, 5/21/2011 5pm, @mac
try yet again, , 5/25/2011,
go shopping, ,tomorrow, @errands

You might post such an inquiry in the OF Extras forum (where you can also seek help for your AppleScript coding work).

No need for the Applescript, such a facility is already built-in. See the help for Processing Mail messages into actions.

Oh. Cool! Thanks.