The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb Feature Requests
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Webarchive deactivation Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi Folks,

I'd personally prefer to have a preference to totally deactivate the creation of a webarchive when saving pages. With SP 17 I've been having to manually switch to plain HTML each time. I can understand the utility of webarchives, I just don't ever use them, preferring instead to create PDFs for "full and glorious pages".

I don't appreciate programs trying to "guess" at my intentions. I always want only HTML when saving a page.

Perhaps the dialog default should be "page source", as in Safari, instead of defaulting to "web archive"?

I don't understand your comment, though. Saving as "plain source" does not get you a PDF. For a PDF, you just hold down the option key and choose "save as PDF" -- this completely bypasses the choice of web archive/html and only saves the "full and glorious page" as a PDF.

We default to WebArchive if the page has any attachments (like images) and page source if the page is flat or if you're looking at an image etc.

Safari appears to remember whatever you had selected last and it completly ignores what you have set if you try to save an image (it just saves it as a regular image even if you have WebArchive selected) so I'm not sure they have the better solution.

That makes perfect sense to me, troy, thanks. And thanks for adding the new feature, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handycam
I don't understand your comment, though. Saving as "plain source" does not get you a PDF.
Correct. I normally save as plain jane HTML. When I need all the images, etc. I prefer to produce a PDF. These are the only two options I use. And now I'm having to manually switch each time from webarchive to source, because most every page I want to save as plain HTML also includes images and other content I do not want.

I'd like OmniWeb to allow me to use source as the default as I never want a webarchive. HTML and PDF are just fine with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
We default to WebArchive if the page has any attachments (like images) and page source if the page is flat or if you're looking at an image etc.
And if a particular user never wants a webarchive (even for complex pages with other content) he has to manually switch to source every time? Ugh.

FWIW, I'm with Darrel here. I never have used a web archive in any browser. Either I need the source code for some reason, or I'd rather save a PDF -- which then is easier to archive and share across browsers and platforms.

It's nice to offer the webarchive as an option, but perhaps you should consider emulating Safari's behavior and "stick" to the last choice used.

What do you all think should happen when you select "Download to <default location>" from the context menu for a page?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyb
What do you all think should happen when you select "Download to <default location>" from the context menu for a page?
If you implement stickiness in the save dialog, then for the dialog-free contextual menu, how about taking the current setting in the save dialog and appending it to the menu item? For added points, let the user select the alternative option with the option key. Thus, if the last time I used the dialog, I selected WebArchive [sic] as the format, then the menu item would read:

Download to <default location> as WebArchive

If I hold down the option key, it would change to:

Download to <default location> as Source

You could play with the wording a bit if you want, but I think something like this really makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Williams
Download to <default location> as WebArchive

If I hold down the option key, it would change to:

Download to <default location> as Source
I like this--and we do plan to remember your selection in the future--just not quite finished with the feature.

In the meantime if you want to save source, you ought to be able to view source and save. I realize it is an extra step but it requires less mouse involvement than changing the popup on the save panel.