The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exact steps for using Clip feature Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm really new to OF, and am struggling to find a good workflow for the following:

All 9 of my email accounts get routed through GMail and into my Inbox (I'm using the Mail/Address Book/iCal/.mac combo, a very recent switcher from Entourage). When an email comes in that I need to refer to later this week, I want to create ... something... in OF that will allow me to refer back to it, so that I can now remove this email from the Inbox (so I'm not constantly staring at it; I use the Zero Inbox methodology).

Does that make sense? Basically, I want a to-do set up in OF that can point back to the email, even if that email is now in some other folder other than the Inbox.

I'm so new at OF that I haven't figured out how to do the clipping feature. So if you have an workflow that you're using, please describe it in baby language so I can get each step.

(for what it's worth: in entourage, I had a couple of scripts that would allow me to highlight an email, bring up a window asking how long to postpone this email (from 20 seconds to 20 months), and then have it automatically move to a Postponed folder for that set amount of time; it would then pop back into the Inbox once the time was up. I'm looking for any method of getting emails OUT of the Inbox with a reminder attached to them to review at a set time in the future).

I'm also interested in the above workflow if possible. New to OF trying to integrate it into my current email usage.

I'll take a stab at it...
1) Launch OmniFocus and open Preferences from the OmniFocus menu.
2) Click on the scissors icon to open the Clippings tab.
3) Click in the top bubble labeled "Clippings Shortcut"
4) Type some keyboard shortcut you'd like to use -- ideally something that isn't already an OmniFocus or Mail shortcut. I used shift-command-period.
5) Right below that, click a radio button to choose whether you want clippings to go to Quick Entry, or straight to your inbox. I prefer they go straight to the inbox.
6) Make sure that the checkbox next to "Mail on Mac OS X 10.5" is checked.
7) In the lower right, there's a Mail icon with a green arrow next to it. Click on it. This will quit and relaunch Mail so that the changes you just made will work. [If mail wasn't running, you might not need to do this.]
8) Close this preference pane.
9) Go find a message in Mail that you want in OmniFocus.
10) Select that email in the upper right hand pane, in the list of email messages.
11) Type the keyboard shortcut you chose in step 4
12) Go back to OmniFocus, and select the Inbox. The subject from the email should be the task name. On the right hand edge of the row, should be a little square icon with a paperclip on it. Click this to see the entire email message in OmniFocus. While you're looking at this, you can click the blue "Original Message" to jump back to viewing that message in Mail.

Steps 1-8 are one-time setup stuff. Once you've done them once, you only need to select an email and type the keyboard shortcut to get more messages into Focus.

"4) Type some keyboard shortcut you'd like to use -- ideally something that isn't already an OmniFocus or Mail shortcut. I used shift-command-period." <- Lizard is talking about Omni Focus short cuts, but this is also the default short cut for clipping in OO3!! So it will conflict. I used shift-comand-comma, that way you can direct your clipping to either Omni Focus or OOP. Clippings are a nice feature.
Good Luck and have fun!

Last edited by RonN; 2007-12-05 at 07:09 PM..

Thanks Lizard - that really helped. And assuming OOP is omniPlan, shift-command-period is fine since I don't use that app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWalsh View Post
assuming OOP is omniPlan...
OmniOutliner Professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonN View Post
"4) Type some keyboard shortcut you'd like to use -- ideally something that isn't already an OmniFocus or Mail shortcut. I used shift-command-period." <- Lizard is talking about Omni Focus short cuts, but this is also the default short cut for clipping in OO3!! So it will conflict. I used shift-comand-comma, that way you can direct your clipping to either Omni Focus or OOP. Clippings are a nice feature.
Good Luck and have fun!
Oops! My bad. Guess I don't really use the clipping feature for outliner. I like the idea of < going to one app and > going to the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobWalsh View Post
Thanks Lizard - that really helped. And assuming OOP is omniPlan, shift-command-period is fine since I don't use that app.
Sorry if I was unclear, Iwas refering to Omni outliner 3 Pro

Seems that whatever key combo I try, I get an error message saying that it's already a system wide shortcut. Yet, when I look at the list of short cuts in the Systems Preferences>Keyboard Mouse pref pane, I see that the list isn't that long. Any thoughts?

clipping just doesn't work for me, period. there's no error msgs or anything. nothing happens. i follow the steps, and nothing happens.