The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Decent iCal integration - URLs linking to OF items. Syncing too. Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Hi All,

Thanks for making the beta available for comment. Here are some comments :-)

* No link back - no deep contexts - no calendar love

When I do perform a sync, a todo is created when applicable. However, these todos are completely isolated. There is no context, no link back to OmniFocus. To continue with the MailTags example, if I create a calendar event with MailTags the event (or todo) has a URL filled in which allows me to click through back to the mail message.

This makes it a lot more useful, a lot more meaningful. I can navigate from Mail to calendar and back again. With OmniFocus, I can't do this in either direction. In other words:
a) I can't navigate back to the item in OmniFocus from iCal
b) I can't navigate from an item in OmniFocus to iCal either (I can only set the date/event and have it synced). If I could navigate, I could determine what else I have lined up for that day, is it a birthday day etc.

Addressbook has similar navigation. ie. they introduce a URI scheme addressbook://somefuzzyURL

How about a OmniFocus://someUniqueItemID that lets me navigate back to an item, and having this data synced with the item to allow this circular navigation?

* Syncing in manual

I find it rather odd that I have to go to the menu and hit "Synchronize with iCal". This seems to be an expensive operation, and takes a while (30 seconds :-) ) even though I don't have *that* many items.

I use MailTags (next best thing since slice bread) and there I can assign a calendar event to a mail item and it happens instantly. The advantage of this is that it amortizes the cost of changes too.

Can't we have an "auto-sync" in OmniFocus?