The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing > iCal Sync
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Syncing with iCal Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
have OF working how i want with contexts but when i try to sync with iCal all i get are the contexts and no tasks created for the contexts - has anyone else had this issue or knows of a fix for it?

I am running the latest version of OF (1.0 Alpha 2 (v33.0.91773))

Thanks,
Phil.

If the start dates for your tasks are in the future, they won't sync.

Make sure your "To-Do's" are visible OF syncs to your your "To-Do's" in iCal. To view "To-Do's" in iCal click the thumb tack in the bottom right if the iCal window.

For my actions with specific start and stop times, I want them to show up as appointments.

Is that possible?

Christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk View Post
If the start dates for your tasks are in the future, they won't sync.
I don't use start dates currently and is there not a way to see what is planned in the future in iCal?

Also, can i show this as a column and how?

Thanks,
Phil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneal View Post
Also, can i show this as a column and how?
Phil,

If you mean the Start Date column (or the Due Date column or the Estimated Hours column), check the "Extra Columns" in the Preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterBoss View Post
For my actions with specific start and stop times, I want them to show up as appointments.

Is that possible?

Christopher
In GTD, appointments are considered a different realm that to-do tasks. The idea is that an appointment is set in time as something that must be done at the listed time. For tasks, you do them when they are appropriate, given the context and the "next action" available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterBoss View Post

Is that possible?
As pvonk said, that's not in keeping with the GTD philosophy. In OmniFocus, actions don't have start and stop times. They have start dates--dates at which it becomes possible or reasonable to think about doing them--and due dates, i.e. dates when they absolutely must be done. (And believe me, you'll get much more mileage out of GTD if you only enter due dates when they're really absolute.) That's not the same as an appointment, unless your appointments routinely extend over several days and can overlap with dozens of other appointments.

If you haven't read David Allen's Getting Things Done, I highly recommend it. If you decide that Allen's approach won't help you, then OmniFocus is probably not the task management application that you need.