The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniWeb > OmniWeb General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Improving OW's performance on certain sites Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm looking for suggestions on ways to improve OmniWeb's (5.9.2) performance on certain sites, specifically FaceBook (www.facebook.com) and ESPN Go (espn.go.com). Both sites work far better with Firefox 3 than OW. Initial load times are ridiculously slow. More often than not, some element will fail to load, or won't work when accessed. The typical approach, adjusting ad-blocking settings and browser spoofing don't help. Neither site is simple, and I know that's much of the issue, but the difference in performance is remarkable and consistent, and that's not typical of OW versus Firefox in general use (IME).

Interesting...I was having the same problem. I found the following.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...39506#comments

Make sure you 'scroll' up when you land on the above url.

Here's what I did substituting OW for safari instructions:

Prep: Make sure OW is closed..not running, then proceed to...

Step 1:
Open OmniWeb's preferences file at ~/Library/Preferences/com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist

Step 2:
MAKE A COPY AND SAVE ON DESKTOP.

Step 3:
Open 'com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist' in a text editor. I use Text Wrangler it's free :-)

Step 4:
Immediately below the first <dict> tag add the following two lines:

<key>WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay</key>
<real>0.25</real>

Step 5:
Save

Step 6:
Close OW relaunch and see if Facebook loads faster.

Step 7:
If all is a mess, just use your copy to restore the original.

A couple of notes:
1. If after saving, your curious to see if you did it right, when you re-open the omnigroup.OmniWeb5.plist file you have to scroll all the way to the bottom where you'll see the above code that you entered. Again, all <key> entries are alphabetical.

2. If you have any doubts about doing this then don't do it. I'm living on a more desperate side. This was a first time to be messing around with the Preferences. I hope it works for you...my Facebook loaded fast. I'm using an Intel iMac with 3GBs of Ram...this little change with OW has made a difference for me.

Aloha,
Fillip

Last edited by Fillip; 2009-03-17 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: Left out a "prep" step

Is this similar or the same as the OmniWeb applications preferences tab 'HTML Display Preferences' option 'Loading Pages enable start drawing before entirely loaded'?

a simpler method of injecting this options is via the terminal

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.25

Last edited by Drayon; 2009-03-17 at 06:47 AM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayon View Post
Is this similar or the same as the OmniWeb applications preferences tab 'HTML Display Preferences' option 'Loading Pages enable start drawing before entirely loaded'?

a simpler method of injecting this options is via the terminal

defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniWeb5 WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay -float 0.25
I believe your right. You can make the change via the terminal. I'm just terminal shy. No pun intended :-)