The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work notebook is a Win 7, how to work with OF? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have and always be a loyal Mac and OmnFocus user. However, my new employer gave me a Windows 7 notebook with VPN and all. Good old big brother notebook.

My question is how others dealt with this where a work issued notebook is a Windows and I use Mac for everything else? I even went to getting the company issued iPhone as well. My personal setup is all Mac (MBA, iPhone, iPad). So, do I keep my personal stuff separate from work and figure out another way to track my to do via Outlook? Another way is to forward via the email link emails that require action to my personal OF and keep everything under one roof. Right now, it looks like I need to keep these two worlds separate and figure out a different task work flow on my work notebook.

Looking for any ideas, tips or suggestions. Thank you.

Maybe you can install OmniFocus for iPhone and use the Omni Sync Server to sync your tasks from your iPhone to your OmniFocus for Mac.

At work, my boss likes to use the web app called Asana to keep track of tasks. So I'd have to do double-entry to show activity sometimes.

But more often than note, I'm just resigned to using Asana for most of my work and keeping OF on iPhone for everything else not work related.

Another idea is to learn how to use remote access software like gotomypc.com

This lets you access your your Mac remotely via web browser. Then you can just use OmniFocus that way.

I've never tried VNC but that might be another way to remotely connect to your Mac. I've heard setting up is a little tricky but it's as smooth as butter once you get it running.

Oftentimes, I'd just leave the Windows notebook and just use my own MacBook Pro. Of course, you'd have to check with your work office regulations if you're allowed to bring your own computer and also keep confidential company documents on your computer.

I show them that I have FileVault encryption with a password on screensaver and wakeup to prove that the data is secure.

I resigned to just having work and home contexts pretty separate as far as GTD goes. It helps though that most of my work stays there (at work) and I don't much care for what I need to do after closing time--the beauty of being a lowly cog in a giant insurance machine!

At my office we finally upgraded to Office 2010, and they even let us keep OneNote--I've been using that as my work GTD tool of choice. It's no OF, but it's basically the best thing MS has done ever, and it integrates very nicely with outlook. (Sadly *we* have to use Lotus Notes.)

To be honest, I think you'll be okay with just your iPhone and some system for things that are truly in your work context. I do 90% of my OmniFocusing on iOS, either phone or iPad, and I'm pretty happy.

Great tips and suggestions. I'll spend my Friday thinking about what to implement, but I will keep my personal stuff away from work stuff. However, like you said, keeping the work flow and capture consistent is important.