The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus needs to pester more Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
This is exactly what I want. Ok, GTD is not about alarms, but maybe I am not such a GTD samurai so I need at least some reminders. This solutions you talk about is the one I need but is there a way to do it from inside OF or I need to switch to Ical everytime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
I think I suggested a solution elsewhere, but here we go again.

For me, the simplest solution is for OF to assign alarms to each task that can be passed onto iCal when we synchronize OF with iCal.

In other words, alarms will go off in iCal, but not in OF (thus not violating the sanctity of GTD, which I think should be viewed as a tool, not a unbreakable rule), but folks who need reminders (for those of us who manage multiple projects, tasks, and roles in our lives) will still get reminders.

Seems like a win-win solution to me.

I think the best thing for people who aren't yet into the habit of GTD (those who need reminders) should set iCal alarms at the times of day you want to, the message saying things like: "Time to empty inbox", or "Time to review projects", etc. Making OF nag is the way to add stress and build habits that are NOT in line with the GTD scheme, at least that's how I see it.

"An important rule for designing consumer apps: Build your app for how people actually behave, not for how you think they should behave."

OmniFocus is not designed for people. It's designed for people who use GTD. It mimics how people who use GTD actually behave.

I haven't read this entire thread, but here's my short 2 cents.

I've always viewed the calendar as a place to store appointments. Places I have to be at certain times. I've found that using OF lowers my stress level significantly. I used to use a WindowsMobile-based phone in conjunction with Outlook for several years. I had reminders for everything. Alarms going off constantly. Now I don't. I also use an iPhone now as well (complete Mac convert :)

At the present time, I don't need reminders for much, not because I've gotten better at remembering, but because I've viewed those things I used to set alarms for as being low importance that, if they didn't get done today, the world wouldn't end. Most of the time, hey, we know when certain things MUST get done. I'm not talking about taking out the trash, or sweeping the floor. Those things become habits and if you're setting alarms for them, you're trying to organize your life a little TOO much in my opinion.

So instead of filling up iCal with a bunch of reminders and appointments, I've created a context of '1st priority' in OF. So, I have MAYBE 5 things total, a mix of both personal and career, that are in this context. I never try to bite off more than I can chew. These are things that HAVE to get done today (not things I WANT to get done). Let's face it, we all want to get a lot done, that's the purpose of GTD. But I'm glad I now have time to do more spur of the moment things (XBOX, watch a movie with the fam, relaxing things) and don't feel like I have so much 'stuff' to do. Once those 1st Priority things are done, I move on to the other stuff, viewing it either in a context- or project-perspective, or if there's not much time left in the day, I do something I enjoy.

It works for me.

I also use the OF to Toodledo script (http://groups.google.com/group/oftd), and have the iPhone-optimized version of Toodledo up on my work Windows machine all the time, with the 1st priority context as my view. This constantly reminds me of WHAT needs to get done TODAY, before I move on to other stuff. Without using nagging reminders. :)

Again, just my thoughts. Hope this helps someone.

-Marc

Sorry, that was supposed to be a 'short' 2 cents, but I went a little overboard. :)

That was a nice post, Lightstorm. It clearly illustrates how an informed decision to deviate from GTD dogma can have beneficial results.

I haven't read this extremely lengthy thread but I must say I agree with the original poster and here's why.

Part of GTD is setting concrete appointments. That means a basic calendar/reminder system should be included in a GTD app.

The whole point of GTD app, for me, is to have one app that I use to organize my life.

All this hassle with spotty iCal syncing and growl or whatnot all because OF doesn't include what is an essential part of GTD, a calendar.

Here's hoping 1.5 or 2.0 includes what is an essential part of the system so I don't have to rely on multiple applications to stay organized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight777 View Post
Part of GTD is setting concrete appointments. That means a basic calendar/reminder system should be included in a GTD app.

The whole point of GTD app, for me, is to have one app that I use to organize my life.

All this hassle with spotty iCal syncing and growl or whatnot all because OF doesn't include what is an essential part of GTD, a calendar.

Here's hoping 1.5 or 2.0 includes what is an essential part of the system so I don't have to rely on multiple applications to stay organized.
You may be right, but the real problem with Omni Group developing their own calendar app, or building calendaring functionality directly into OmniFocus, is getting buy-in from any significant number of Mac users. For better or worse, I really think Apple already has the Mac calendaring market tied up (except maybe for a portion of corporate users using Entourage). Any new player, even one as good as Omni Group, is going to have a steep, uphill battle against some very good, entrenched, powerhouse competitors.

And, despite minor quibbles, iCal is actually pretty good: it's nicely integrated into the system, syncs with .Mac and iPhone/iPod, supports open standards like CalDav, and probably satisfies the needs of 80-90% of the user base.

Are there many people who would opt for an OmniCalendar over iCal or find any real value in a built-in OmniFocus calendar? If not, why should Omni Group "reinvent the wheel?" Are there more cost-effective time investments for Omni Group's limited resources?

OTOH, OmniWeb seems to be doing pretty well these days. Is there a Webkit-like framework for calendaring? That would probably make things a lot easier.

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-02-29 at 08:55 PM..

In another thread I suggested a sort-of 'OmniFocus HUD'. I got a couple helpful replies, essentially suggesting specific perspectives, but these still miss my point.

Instead of 'pestering', I think it would be useful to have a HUD-type window which can float in, say, the corner of your screen. While my reason for this is to be able to quickly drill through dozens of e-mails without switching back and forth between OF and Mail, I think it can also be useful as a sort of reminder window.

Growl is useless to me as a reminder system, I think this would be a nice compromise.