The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Checklists Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Some lists of things you want to tick off you don't want to vanish as 'completed'.

For instance, some people owe me money for t shirts. So I create an action with sub actions (names of people to collect from):

Collect money for t shirts
>Dave
>Fred
>John

etc

However, when I mark someone as 'completed' (because they paid me) their entry vanishes. But this isn't what I want to happen. I would prefer if their name remained ticked off but still on the list. I want to keep this group of people in this action list together for current and later reference - in some of their note fields I have kept info about how much they paid, how much I owe them back etc

I want to LOCK this action list with it's sub actions so I can keep an eye on it. Having things vanish off into the nowhere of 'completed actions' spits this info in a way I can't then really use again.

Any ideas on this? I always have my 'removed completed actions' set to on because I like things to go away once they're completed. But for some specific action lists I don't. Could we have this behavior on an action by action or subgroup basis? Or even have a new category of sub group called checklist? For me, these kinds of lists are just ever so slightly different in my mind to normal actions.

Cheers

How about setting the view bar's Status filter to 'Any Status'? You can even create perspective(s) that will focus on the project(s) that you want to display all actions in.

The checked-off items haven't gone away in any real sense; you just aren't displaying them. If you've got a project where you want to see the list in its entirety all the time, make a perspective just for viewing that project, and set the view parameters to show all actions. Essentially the same functionality as you are requesting, but without the need for any code changes, or for everyone to see a bit of what will be infrequently used UI all the time, but still offering you one-click access if you put it in the toolbar.

Good ideas, but these are pretty complicated workarounds for what I see as quite a simple behavior addition

A project can be serial or parallel so has two states. Would be cool if there could be an extra state for an action list to be 'checklist' which would simply override that lists actions to hide on complete.

Here's another problem I have with sub actions :)

When I create a list like the one above, the names of these people are obviously referring to the list, i.e. These are people I need to collect t-shirt money from

However when in context mode they lose their visual connection with their parent and come up as single actions. So I get actions called Dave, Fred, John..

These names on their own with no reference back to their parent don't really make sense. I don't want to have to make lots of actions which all refer to the t shirt concept (like 'Get t shirt money from Dave, Get t shirt money from Fred etc) - but if I don't, these names lose their relevance

If sub-actions want to be really useful then they need to refer to their parent somehow IMHO so you can actually see what they're about in any view

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
Good ideas, but these are pretty complicated workarounds for what I see as quite a simple behavior addition

A project can be serial or parallel so has two states. Would be cool if there could be an extra state for an action list to be 'checklist' which would simply override that lists actions to hide on complete.
Using the display modes already in the program for exactly this sort of thing is complicated, but adding a new project type to two programs is simple?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Using the display modes already in the program for exactly this sort of thing is complicated, but adding a new project type to two programs is simple?
I really think it must be fairly simple to allow lists to override your 'tidy up on completion' setting when you want, 'cos that's all it really is.

Oh, and I want them to be checkboxes and not ticks. And I want hundreds and thousands.

:P

Quote:
Originally Posted by BevvyB View Post
I really think it must be fairly simple to allow lists to override your 'tidy up on completion' setting when you want, 'cos that's all it really is.

Oh, and I want them to be checkboxes and not ticks. And I want hundreds and thousands.

:P
Well, let's see, we need UI elements in both versions to control where this feature is used (further complicating the out of the box experience for a new user). We probably need additional support in the file format to store this information and convey it to the other sync clients. It all needs to be documented and tested. And when we're all done, we've got something you can already do by using features already present!

It took a long time to get auto-completion of action groups and projects, despite many requests by a large group of users, and that was something of seemingly comparable complexity that couldn't be done with existing features. By all means, send your feature request to the ninjas, but I bet you'll have quite a few opportunities to do it a different way while you wait :-)