The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Getting Disillusioned With OmniFocus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks for the response Ken but if I enter the search "Abc store" OR "Xyz store" in GoogleMaps it displays both. I'm wondering is it because the stores I'm entering are physically opposite each other and OmniFocus, in trying to return only the closest one, omits both? Just a thought from a non-techie!
I'm not sure what's happening there either: I just changed one of my contexts to use a search similar to what you describe ("QFC store" OR "Safeway store") and it seems to be working fine for me: it's returning the nearby Safeway when my location is my house, and the nearby QFC when my location is Omni.

To dig into this further and figure out why it's not working for you, we'll probably need to get into specific details about exactly what business search you're entering, where you are when you do the search, what results you expected (i.e. what you see in Google Maps) and what incorrect results you're getting from OmniFocus. We may also need to add more diagnostics to a future build of OmniFocus, so it can enter a debugging mode where it reports more details about what it sends to Google's API and receives back. If you haven't already, could you start a dialog with our support ninjas about this? You can reach them at omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheQ View Post
Thanks for the response Ken but if I enter the search "Abc store" OR "Xyz store" in GoogleMaps it displays both. I'm wondering is it because the stores I'm entering are physically opposite each other and OmniFocus, in trying to return only the closest one, omits both? Just a thought from a non-techie!
Are you perhaps equating the Maps app on the iPhone with google maps? They are not the same! You need to go to maps.google.com, select a business search from the options, and then try your search, otherwise you are making a flawed comparison and will be led far astray...

I do find the process of getting a multiple item search string to be what I want to be a bit finicky, but don't see much to suggest that OmniFocus is the culprit. Many times the searches can be undone by errors in how someone has entered the business name or classification in the database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Are you perhaps equating the Maps app on the iPhone with google maps? They are not the same! You need to go to maps.google.com, select a business search from the options, and then try your search, otherwise you are making a flawed comparison and will be led far astray...

I do find the process of getting a multiple item search string to be what I want to be a bit finicky, but don't see much to suggest that OmniFocus is the culprit. Many times the searches can be undone by errors in how someone has entered the business name or classification in the database.
As always, whpalmer4, a big "thank-you" for taking the time and trouble to respond. I did, a while back, learn the hard way that you need to check location-based contexts in google maps first, before entering them in OmniFocus. For example, I couldn't understand why when I entered "John Lewis" OmniFocus told me there was a branch on Victoria Street. I knew full well there wasn't! It turned out this was the address of their administrative offices and so I refined the criteria to "John Lewis stores" in google which returned the correct result, and then so did OmniFocus.

I'm just about to open a new thread on why I believe location-based contexts return incorrect data. If you have a moment, and the inclination, I'd love to know your thoughts on my theory. I'm a tough kid, so feel free to shoot me down in flames if I'm pontificating rubbish!

You're no doubt one of those people who complains that tbe
person at another table was served more fries than you.

Chill out!

You're half-right I guess, Mango Himself. If I order steak-n-chips and only get steak, then I complain!

I see you are based in the UK... I'm not sure if the post code problem has been fixed yet, but (if it hasn't) if you enter a full post code the location will be off - sometimes by a km or so. Only the first half of the code is recognised correctly so avoid entering a full post code when typing in an address.

HTH

Although this is not the solution to your problem I just wanted to add, that my experience with OF bug fixing has been quite good. I mentioned a german translation problem with calendar syncing to ical and they fixed that 1 1/2 months or so later with 1.6.5 for iPhone.

But I really had to stick to my point and posted several screenshots and explained why I thought something was wrong. And eventually they picked it up (as well as in the sneaky peaks of 1.8 as in the iphone version).

besides all that: keep in mind, that the whole mapping business and google maps / bing maps is still pretty new. they are just starting to implement great features and there is still a lot of work to do and a long way to go.

Thanks FatalError. I've quoted you and replied in a separate thread, "Nearby" location-based contexts return incorrect results.

You'll be pleased to know that 1.7 has been released in a timely matter.