The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPhone
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

v1.8.1: Error on sync to server w/self-signed security cert. [Known issue: will fix.] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
OmniFocus 1.8.1 for iPhone is now available, fixing these erroneous sync error messages.
With 1.8.1, got Sync Errors I didn't have before!! (See Below)

Solution was to remove OF, restart,
reload OF, restart, set sync and OF was working again.

"UNABLE TO SYNCRHONIZE DATABASE WITH SERVER. The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be
<name-of-my-server>
which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?"

Re-installed 1.8, no go.
Completely removed OF and restarted, iPhone and Mac.
Re-installed 1.8.1, no go.
Re-set Database on OF iPh, no go.
Re-set Sync details on OF Mac, no go.
Removed, restarted, reloaded, set sync, no go.
Removed, restarted, reloaded, restarted, set sync, good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2do View Post
With 1.8.1, got Sync Errors I didn't have before!! (See Below)

Solution was to remove OF, restart,
reload OF, restart, set sync and OF was working again.

"UNABLE TO SYNCRHONIZE DATABASE WITH SERVER. The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be
<name-of-my-server>
which could put your confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server anyway?"

Re-installed 1.8, no go.
Completely removed OF and restarted, iPhone and Mac.
Re-installed 1.8.1, no go.
Re-set Database on OF iPh, no go.
Re-set Sync details on OF Mac, no go.
Removed, restarted, reloaded, set sync, no go.
Removed, restarted, reloaded, restarted, set sync, good to go.
I'm seeing the same thing when I use my own webdav server. I do not see this warning when I use OF on my Macs which are both using the same webdav server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
I'm seeing the same thing when I use my own webdav server. I do not see this warning when I use OF on my Macs which are both using the same webdav server.
And I AM seeing this when I sync to OF running on my Mac.
But the sync seems to run anyway.

/Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfiveash View Post
I'm seeing the exact same thing as well.

We've gotten a few reports like this, and the engineering team is investigating the problems. If folks could contact our support ninjas, it would be very helpful to their efforts.

Thanks very much and we're very sorry for the trouble this is causing!

Quick workaround: add your own CA cert to your iPod. If you have your own WebDAV server, then you have your own web server, right? Copy your cacert.pem file to your web server's root directly, load https://www.example.com/cacert.pem in your iPod's Safari, and it will open the security manager. Tell it to install that cert and voila! Your sync problems (and the similar warning message when you connect to your self-signed mailserver) are magically gone forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders.holm View Post
And I AM seeing this when I sync to OF running on my Mac.
But the sync seems to run anyway.

/Anders
It happened again today!

The only thing that I had changed today was to upgrade a VoIP phone app and then OF for iPh began displaying the error message again.

It had been working well since I used the sequence in my original post to re-install and re-sync and all working again (see first post above).

THIS TIME AROUND - the data was syncing and then OF4iPH would quit after the sync message appeared.

Experiencing this also, and sent an email to the ninjas describing my problem:
Quote:
Ever since updating to the latest OmniFocus for iPhone, I am no longer able
to sync to my WebDav server. The message that comes up is:

Quote:
Unable to synchronize with database with server
The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a
server that is pretending to be miscit.com which could put your
confidential information at risk. Would you like to connect to the server
anyway?
The options under that are 'cancel' and 'retry'. Upon clicking either
button, omnifocus crashes. If I don't click anything, OmniFocus crashes. I
tried navigating to my WebDav server in Safari, and accepting the cert
there, but that doesn't seem to help.

Both iPad and iPhone versions have this problem after the last upgrade. The system does not crash, but it is still annoying to see this every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0rban View Post
Experiencing this also, and sent an email to the ninjas describing my problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2do View Post
"UNABLE TO SYNCRHONIZE DATABASE WITH SERVER."
The solution I posted about has worked - in a hit & miss fashion.

Today, in my weekly review, the problem happened again, but this time no sync was occurring. Until the good folks at Omni fix this problem, I was putting up with the "quitting" issue, because the data was syncing.

Instead I have done the following, signed up at:

http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=18092

Using the ADVANCED PREF in OF to sync with the OF.iPh.
The sync is a tad slower than WiFi depending on your internet connection.

For today, this is the option that seems to be sticking and working.

Let's see if tomorrow brings back the sync problem.

Try it, if you're like me and rely on inputing data on both the iPhone and the Mac throughout your 24hr life cycle!

Actually, I like the idea of Omni running this server to sync data with.
Luckily I saw the beta option and have grabbed a spot.

Quote:
The Omni Sync Server represents our effort to provide something that's as reliable and easy to use as MobileMe sync, but doesn't require any additional expense for our customers.

The server is still in a beta test phase, but the project has been going really well so far. Five months in, we have several thousand accounts syncing their data to the server, we've had a grand total of 15 minutes of unplanned downtime, and we haven't gotten any reports of sync problems that were the server's fault. In fact, our sync server seems less likely to cause sync problems than some of the other free options folks have been using.
Read more about it as this link.

EDIT: Monday, 13 December 2010 7:44 PM:
48hrs later still working via the Omni Sync Server workaround.

Last edited by 2do; 2010-12-13 at 01:06 PM..