The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

context view using start dates vs. due dates Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I may be missing something easy...in which case I apologize for being a dunce. I need some help with my context view. I have a daily and weekly planning/review session. I review my projects and plan for the coming week/day. When I do this I assign due dates to tasks. I'm a procrastinator, and unless I have a due date on things...they tend to never get done. This may not be pure GTD...but it works for me. Not having due dates doesn't.

With this in mind, I've been using due dates the same way since the day OF came out. It's worked fairly well. Lately I've been developing sequential projects that have start and due dates. I've used a work around that I don't really like. I use the start date as the due date and then put the true due date in the notes field. I've tried to use the start and due dates correctly, but can't get my context view set up correctly.

In context view I have my filters set as grouping: due (so I can work the plan I developed for myself with the "assigned" soft due dates), sorting: name (although this isn't really important to me), action filter: next action. When I use my kludgy workaround, this setup and system works. When I use start and due dates as they truly should be, I can't get the view I want. If I set the grouping filter to "start" then I get all of my tasks with no start dates first with the "start anytime" at the top of the window and the dated starts at the bottom of the context window. If I then change the sorting filter to "due" all of my tasks that are due today move to the top, but I still have the tasks with due dates down the road but started either today or in the past at the bottom of the window. I don't want to change my action filter from "next" as this defeats the purpose of sequential projects or action groups...plus it doesn't accomplish what I want.

I want my context view to have the appearance of my current perspective: grouping: due, sorting: name, action filter: next action. In addition, I want my actions that have a start date of either today or in the past with a future due date to be in the "due today" section. I realize there are conflicting rules here...but I'm hoping somebody with a better imagination and/or grasp of the intricacies of OF can help me.

Thanks