The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Syncing
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unable to Synchronize database with server [Resolved] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Yes, that is correct — open the email on the iPad and tap the enclosed link, which will launch OmniFocus and configure it. You'll still have to enter your MobileMe username and password when it tries to sync for the first time.

Ok, I finally got Mac to sync with my iphone but strangely it is only a partial sync. Note, there was no data on my iPhone's OF. When I synced Mac's OF with the iPhone, it synced all that was on my Mac's OF but when I go back to the Mac's OF, I cannot find all the data. In other words, some of the projects that were synced on iPhone from Mac are no longer found on the Mac. Strange!

This is frustrating. I purchased the iPad and iPhone version because I thought they would sync like iCal sync all the devices, with ease. All I want is seamless syncing, why did I read in the reviews that the syncing was perfect?

Update Solution via
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Is it possible that your Mac is focused on a subset of your project list? If you select "All Items" from the Perspectives menu, do you see the new iPad projects?
That solved the iPhone and Mac syncing issue.

Last edited by omni-F-user; 2010-09-06 at 08:24 PM..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
Yes, that is correct — open the email on the iPad and tap the enclosed link, which will launch OmniFocus and configure it. You'll still have to enter your MobileMe username and password when it tries to sync for the first time.
I sent an email and opened and a window came up asking me for user name and password for a secure site. I assumed this was MobileMe, after putting in my credentials, it took me to a Mobile Me welcome site. What next?

Ok, in configuring the settings from Mac to iPad, I got a window pop up on my iPad that gives me the option of "Keep device Database," or "Keep Sync Database." Note, in-box and projects on IPad is neither on iPhone or Mac since I have not gotten it to sync.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni-F-user View Post
Ok, in configuring the settings from Mac to iPad, I got a window pop up on my iPad that gives me the option of "Keep device Database," or "Keep Sync Database." Note, in-box and projects on IPad is neither on iPhone or Mac since I have not gotten it to sync.
Yes, you're trying to sync two different databases that didn't start from the same point. OmniFocus has detected the lack of common ancestry and wants to know which one you want to keep. Don't worry, you don't have to lose any data, and you shouldn't have this problem in the future — it stems from making independent changes on your devices before setting up syncing. However, I'm going to have you talk to the Omni support folks to walk you through the process, because it is a bit tedious to explain and they've probably got a canned description of the procedure. Give them a call tomorrow at 800-315-OMNI (US) or +1-206-523-4152 (Int'l) and they'll walk you through it.

Aw, what the heck, here's one way you can do it:

Cable up your iPad to your Mac. Launch iTunes, select the iPad in the source list (left column), click on the Apps tab on the right panel, scroll down to the bottom and select OmniFocus in the Apps section of File Sharing. Now in the Documents area that appears to the right, select OmniFocus.ofocus and click Save To... where you will save the database file to your desktop. Launch OmniFocus on the Mac, then double-click the OmniFocus.ofocus file you saved to your desktop, which will bring up your iPad's database in a separate OmniFocus window. Drag and drop any actions/projects that you created on the iPad into your main OmniFocus window. When you are done, click the sync button on your Mac, and wait for the sync to complete. After it does, launch OmniFocus on the iPad (no longer needs to be cabled to the Mac) and have it do a sync. When you are asked which database to keep, keep the sync database, into which you have just merged your iPad actions and projects. When the sync is complete, have a look at the data on the iPad and make sure everything looks correct. Now sync the iPhone and make sure it has everything.

Quote:
Yes, you're trying to sync two different databases that didn't start from the same point. OmniFocus has detected the lack of common ancestry and wants to know which one you want to keep. Don't worry, you don't have to lose any data, and you shouldn't have this problem in the future — it stems from making independent changes on your devices before setting up syncing. However, I'm going to have you talk to the Omni support folks to walk you through the process, because it is a bit tedious to explain and they've probably got a canned description of the procedure. Give them a call tomorrow at 800-315-OMNI (US) or +1-206-523-4152 (Int'l) and they'll walk you through it.

Aw, what the heck, here's one way you can do it:

Cable up your iPad to your Mac. Launch iTunes, select the iPad in the source list (left column), click on the Apps tab on the right panel, scroll down to the bottom and select OmniFocus in the Apps section of File Sharing. Now in the Documents area that appears to the right, select OmniFocus.ofocus and click Save To... where you will save the database file to your desktop. Launch OmniFocus on the Mac, then double-click the OmniFocus.ofocus file you saved to your desktop, which will bring up your iPad's database in a separate OmniFocus window. Drag and drop any actions/projects that you created on the iPad into your main OmniFocus window. When you are done, click the sync button on your Mac, and wait for the sync to complete. After it does, launch OmniFocus on the iPad (no longer needs to be cabled to the Mac) and have it do a sync. When you are asked which database to keep, keep the sync database, into which you have just merged your iPad actions and projects. When the sync is complete, have a look at the data on the iPad and make sure everything looks correct. Now sync the iPhone and make sure it has everything.
Ok, I will try this tomorrow. But which option should I pick? "Keep device Database," or "Keep Sync Database?"

I'm sorry, no offense intended, but if you're asking me that question after reading my description of the process, I think the safest course of action is for you to cancel the sync on the iPad for now, and call Omni in the morning. They'll hold your hand and guide you through the process.

Good news is that if you're getting that message, it means everything is set for successful syncing once the two are reconciled. The reason it seems such a bumpy start is that you've done the equivalent of buying a new computer, installing a bunch of software on it, creating a directory full of files, and only now wanting to try out the Migration Assistant instead of waiting for it to do its work prior to playing with the new toy.

Quote:
I'm sorry, no offense intended, but if you're asking me that question after reading my description of the process, I think the safest course of action is for you to cancel the sync on the iPad for now, and call Omni in the morning. They'll hold your hand and guide you through the process.

Good news is that if you're getting that message, it means everything is set for successful syncing once the two are reconciled. The reason it seems such a bumpy start is that you've done the equivalent of buying a new computer, installing a bunch of software on it, creating a directory full of files, and only now wanting to try out the Migration Assistant instead of waiting for it to do its work prior to playing with the new toy.

LoL...at the blue highlighted text. I actually did not even read what you wrote last night. I was too tired. I read it today and followed the instructions and everything is synced. Thanks for the help!

Let's hope that everything syncs automatically!