The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shared Layer - Move to Back Feature? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Is there a way to put shared layers behind all other layers?

I've created a wireframe that I want on several pages, but with different highlights on select features for each page. The shared layer is always on top of the highlighted box and it makes it very difficult to move around.

I see a layering icon on the canvases list that seems to indicate it's at the front but can't find a way to move it to the back.

Any suggestions?

If you click and drag on the layers in the sidebar, you can reorder them. Does that do what you need?

Yes it did. Thanks. Damn that it is totally not intuitive and it isn't user friendly once you get used to it. Many times I want an object on a shared layer to be in FRONT of all while I want an object on that same layer to be in BACK. This makes it way too complicated to manage this.

Well, I don't know that it's totally not intuitive—I figured it out without any reference to the documentation, and I've never used a shared layer or reordered the layers before. In any case, I'm sure your feedback would be read and considered if you send it in with Help->Send Feedback or email to omnigraffle@omnigroup.com, but that isn't guaranteed if you only post to the forum.

I suppose it depends what you think "intuitive" means.

I too, like Bill, figured it out without ever looking at a manual.

Have you ever used a Mac before ? Many other Apple programs work the same way. In about five years, it will be available on Windoze.

Wait until you find that the Tools have different levels of control.

If you want some shared objects to be in front of all and other shared objects to be in back of all, make two shared layers, and arrange them to be in those positions.